Sick pet duck, advice would be of great help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zams1006, Nov 2, 2015.

1. zams1006

zams1006 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    G'day

My Muscovy duck has been sick since Saturday, ill give as much information as i can, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday morning i noticed she was not excited about food and since then, she hasn't eaten. But she has had water, quite a lot if i carry her to her tub.

She was laying. She laid for 2 weeks every day but then took three days off and started again on Wednesday, but hasn't laid since Friday, so she didn't lay on Saturday morning when i noticed she was sick. Her vent seems normal.

She is lethargic, her poop has been watery with small yellow and white bits. She is 8 months old.

This morning she was breathing with her mouth slightly open, and her eyelids seem a little droopy.

She is losing weight quickly and im really worried for her so any advice on how i should handle this situation would be great! If i haven't included some helpful information just ask!

Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @zams1006

She could very well be egg bound have you tried putting her in a nice warm tub of water and letting her float for a while? sometimes letting them soak in warm water can help them relax enough to lay an egg if its stuck. If you can get her into some warm water deep enough to float in then try feeling gently down at her lower belly and you can also lube up your finger and gently stick it into her vent to feel for an egg. Is it at all possible to get her to a vet?

What does she eat? is she getting Oyster shell for extra calcium also Tums the antacid can be dissolved and offered in drinking water for extra calcium in case it's egg binding. Could be an infection going on too but only a vet can tell you for sure.
    Small yellow and white bits could mean and egg has broken inside but usually you see some discharge. I wish I could offer more but it's just guessing at this point..

If you can get some poultry vitamins you can add some to her drinking water to give her immune system a boost.

Keep her quiet and warm not heat lamp warm but comfortable warm

Also could she have eaten anything that may have made her sick, there is always the chance of botulism that can be treated to but needs to be done asap. I'll give the link to flushes in case that is a possibility
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first thoughts align with Miss Lydia's - could she have egg yolk peritonitis? Some other kind of infection? I would get her to a vet if possible, if not, I would really think of getting antibiotics into her.

It's possible she has parasites, or could have eaten something toxic.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. zams1006

Nov 2, 2015
    [​IMG]s
    [​IMG]
    Thanks so much for your replies, these are some pictures if they help at all!

6. zams1006

Nov 2, 2015
    thanks so much! do the pictures help?

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She is beautiful!

The poo pic helps. Shows she has not eaten much - does it have a particular smell? Like eggs, or yeast, or really ugly strong odor?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @zams1006 How is your Scovy today.. She is lovely by the way and red carnuckles not pale which is good.

@casportpony is our poo expert maybe she could give some ideas.

9. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    How is she today??

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @zams1006 , welcome to BYC!

The white bits make me think her kidneys are working overtime, but who knows why. My best guess is that she has a stuck egg, coccidiosis, worms or a bacterial infection somewhere. Would be best to get her to a vet, but if you can't do that, you could try treating her yourself. One thing you could do is check her for a stuck egg. To do that you need to put on a glove, lube your finger with personal lubricant and very gently insert finger and check for egg. You shouldn't have to go in more than an inch. Be careful in case there is a stuck soft shelled or shell-less egg. Here is a picture that shows where an egg might be:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by