Sick Pet Quail? Weird noises - Video

Serin

Crowing
Feb 3, 2019
Chicagoland
I bought this coturnix hen 4 days ago. She has periodically made these noises for the past two days - no noises first two. These don't sound right at all. They vary from belches to gurgling. She also periodically coughs. It's not constant, and there is no wheezing or rattling in her breath if I hold her to my ear. She just has a few of these cough/gurgle belch fits a day. She makes no other sounds.

No other symptoms. No eye or nostril discharge. Eats, drinks, dust bathes, acts like a quail.

Poor thing. Has she done it since you got her? Where'd you get her from and is there any important information on her past. Also age? Looks like she's choking on something. Have you checked her throat for anything stuck? Hope she feels better.

Poor thing. Has she done it since you got her? Where'd you get her from and is there any important information on her past. Also age? Looks like she's choking on something. Have you checked her throat for anything stuck? Hope she feels better.

Farm store. No clue on history. It started after a couple days that I heard it. She is otherwise mute. She has never made a normal coturnix chirp just these gurgles so I am starting to think she has something wrong. But she does not seem to feel unwell.

I can't see anything in her throat on exam.

Oh man im sorry. I agree thats not good. Maybe it is some sort of defect. I agree sounds like something blocking her breathing passage. Im sorry i do not know for certain what it is or how to fix it :hit

Most birds will act fine until theyre on deaths door, as prey animals they are very good at covering up something wrong with them so that theyre not picked off, chosen for that weakness.

I jus remembered and had to come back to tell you. My mom had adopted a dove she found on the ground. It never made a single normal dove noise-- it made a sort of growl. She thinks it was rejected by the parents because of it. She actually kept it in the house, i wonder if she has a picture. Forgotten all about it until now. She worked too much to bond with it the way you have with your Olive. Just maybe a touch of hope.

Also i would call the feed store. Maybe they can help. I know you do not want a replacement as youve grown attached to little Cleo but if theyre worth their salt theyd better offer.

She died this afternoon. She got extremely flighty in the hour leading up to it and then just laid down and died. Strangely she wasn't coughing or belching today.

Back
Top Bottom