Sick pet silver laced Orpington rooster

OrpiLorpe Lady

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2020
Anyone have any tried and true info on Denegard for chickens? I've been dosing for 6 days now and was wondering if there is a lower dose withdrawal period? My rooster still isn't doing great. Just stands with his head almost touching the ground and a thick saliva sometimes in excess. The vet tested him for Mycoplasma. He was negative. He was on antibiotics this spring that made him feel better but they were $100. After the vet visit, it put a huge dent in my chicken funds. I'm adding vinegar and liquid chicken vitamins to the flocks water. He is the only bird not feeling well. I give him pureed oatmeal and protein mix with a syringe also. He does eat his regular food to. The vet also said he has avian tapeworms. I can't find a product that will kill them over the counter. The vet wants to charge another $100 plus to give me pills for my 8 chickens. Any good suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Stop the Denagard. Denagard is for Mycoplasma diseases only and your rooster tested negative per your vet. It is the tapeworms making him sick.
Stop the vinegar, stop the oatmeal, stop the protein mix.
Go to a feed store and purchase Equimax equine paste. It'll be in the Equine section.
The paste is given orally. Dosage is 0.15ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat again in 10 days.
Wait 2 hours after dosing, then give him liquid chicken vitamins mixed in his feed to eat.
View attachment 2421684

That is exactly what I used for my flock. Took care of the worms. They don't like the taste. I put it in canned tuna in water. They ate it up.

Stop the Denagard. Denagard is for Mycoplasma diseases only and your rooster tested negative per your vet. It is the tapeworms making him sick.
Go to a feed store and purchase Equimax equine paste. It'll be in the Equine section.
The paste is given orally. Dosage is 0.15ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat again in 10 days.
Wait 2 hours after dosing, then give him liquid chicken vitamins mixed in his feed to eat.
View attachment 2421684
View attachment 2421684
Thank you for the information. I have read giving horse wormer is a treatment. How often do I treat my flock for preventing tapeworm takeover. Thank you again.
The tapeworms have been eating well atleast.

You dont have to treat your whole flock for tapeworms, only the ones that are tapeworm infected. You can tell which ones are tapeworm infected by observing their feces. You'll see white rice-like segments slowly moving in the feces. Treat the bird(s) that excretes the segments only.

I worm my flock during the molt and just before the summer heat. Remember not to use the eggs for 7 days after treatment.
It's best to worm birds in early spring when everything comes alive after winter, worms included. Thereafter your soil conditions dictate how often you should worm your birds.
What wormer have you used that has a 7 day withdrawal period?

You dont have to treat your whole flock for tapeworms, only the ones that are tapeworm infected. You can tell which ones are tapeworm infected by observing their feces. You'll see white rice-like segments slowly moving in the feces. Treat the bird(s) that excretes the segments only.
I haven't seen any rice wiggling at all in the droppings. They all look normal but I will check again. Thank you.

It's entirely possible your rooster is the only one infected. A chicken has to eat an infected insect in order to get tapeworms.
Agreed- but they all share the same coop/pen and as parasites go....they love to be shared and multiply. That's why the vet wanted to treat the whole flock which was/is needed. I can miss 7 days of eggs. No problem. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom