Sick Pied Suffolk

Allan Aston

Hatching
Jul 16, 2020
Well, it appears I am on somewhat of an unlucky run at the moment, after having a sick Rhode Rock, which appears to have made a full recovery, I now appear to have a problem with my Pied Suffolk, Loretta.

Noticed it yesterday when she was doing the most bizarre squark/sneeze thing, I'm not even sure how to describe it but she didn't sound well. I went up to her and noticed that one of her eyes is closed. I've been keeping an eye on her today. She has stayed in the coop all day. Off her food and is very docile. She normally doesn't like being touched at all. Any ideas?

Also noticed today, a bit of a crust around her beak, which I just flaked off with my finger, she also sounds a bit rough with her breathing.

All help, very much appreciated.

Welcome To BYC
Where are you located in the world?
How old is she?
Have you added any new birds within the last 30 days?
Can you post some photos of her?
When's the last time she laid an egg?
A video of her actions and what she sounds like may be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

I would check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning, take a look inside her beak for any mucous/lesions or canker, check her over for lice/mites. Feel her abdomen for fluid or fullness. Open the eye and see if it's closed because of debris or pus.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm based in England, UK. She will be about two and a half years old. I have added new birds, but I think this is more coincidence rather than linked to this. I get my birds from a good supplier and they come vaccinated.

Her crop feels ok, but is not full felt maybe like it had air in it (not sure if that is normal).... I suspect she is not laying but I don't know when she last laid as all my hens tend to lay in the same nest box. I will try and take a pic and post it later today, I have already been out and give her a good look over, I don't want to disturb her again to soon.

I am having a bit of a mite issue at the moment also, the weather in England has been very wet and warm for weeks now and the mites are just going crazy!!! Powdering with DE but it doesn't appear to be having a huge impact on them.

She is a good-sized strong bird, good weight normally, but she is definitely off her food. I have put some additive in her water, but suspect she's not drinking at the moment as not leaving the coop at all.

Kind Regards,
Al

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm based in England, UK. She will be about two and a half years old. I have added new birds, but I think this is more coincidence rather than linked to this. I get my birds from a good supplier and they come vaccinated.
Her crop feels ok, but is not full felt maybe like it had air in it suspect she is not laying

I am having a bit of a mite issue at the moment also, the weather in England has been very wet and warm for weeks now and the mites are just going crazy!!! Powdering with DE but it doesn't appear to be having a huge impact on them.
What are they vaccinated for?

If the crop feels like it has air in it, then check first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Check with your pet shop or feed store for a louse powder or spray. DE is not going to control a mite infestation.

Hey,

Just a bit of an update. It appears that the infection has gone to another 2 of my hens. They are croaking when they breathe. I rang my hen supplier and they immediately diagnosed the issue as Mycoplasma gallisepticum (It's been described as a cold/flu for chickens) they have recommended a product called Denaguard which is an antibiotic. It's a licensed drug in the UK so can't be bought over the counter, has to come through a vet apparently.

They have probably picked it up from wild birds using their drinking station. Apparently they will be carriers for the rest of their lives now and this may flare up when they are stressed out. I did recently move them into a new coop and introduce new birds a few weeks later, so I've probably added to this stress. They may have had this for a long time and it only just flared up because of my actions.

Loretta looks like she is over the worst of it and is now back out of the coop, her eye has cleared and the gunk around her mouth too. I just hope the others pull through also. Cyrstal is also molting, so it's a double whammy for her, but she is strong.

Regards,
Al

Back
Top Bottom