sick pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bensteph821, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    I think my pig ate bad meat yesterday. Now today will not eat or get up. Very lethargic:( any ideas? Anything I can do to help her feel better. I brought water to her. She did suck that down. Now waiting on call from vet.

2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    How did your pig get access to meat?

Don't wait call the vet back until you get an answer!

3. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    We don't fed our pigs meat due to so much controversy on whether or not it is good or bad for them, so many say yes and so many say no... better safe than sorry!

Make sure she has water and a good way to keep cool if she wants... Hope your vet can give you some answers soon! Good luck with your piggie hope she gets better soon!

4. bensteph821

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    I gave it to her:( We just got her last weekend from a rescue place....been researching the best we can on the do's and donts of what they can and cant eat..I hope I didnt hurt her. Last time I will do that! Thanks, yes I will try the vet again!

5. twistedwire

twistedwire Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    How "bad" was the meat?

Keep in mind, what she eats, you'll eat later if you're raising her for meat. Research quality feeds or you'll end up with nasty tasting pork.

If she's a pet, you still need to make sure things aren't spoiled.

I'm in the school of CALL THE VET. Her symptoms are more severe than just a belly ache from eating something sub par.

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe the rescue can also advise while waiting for the vet's call, if the vet hasn't called back yet.

7. bensteph821

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Porkchop died. I checked on her at around 3 ,gave her water, called the vet and at 430 when I got home she was gone. Decided it most likely was not the meat, but maybe something in the pen she shares with goats and sheep...maybe one of The bushes. Still never got a hold if my vet:-( totally baffled. Was perfectly happy and healthy yesterday. Thanks for all your help.

8. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    Sad to hear. You should have done alot of research before buying or adopting a pig. In no way should any LIVESTOCK be fed meat! goats,sheep,horses,pigs,cows and other livestock. She should have been on propper pig food and in a pen to herself not with goats and sheep because I know how goats can be and i've seen them butt other animals just to keep them away from a place just because they want to. I watched my goats butt and chase my miniature horses a few times away from the water and I moved them apart. In this weather a pig needs a shady place with a MUD HOLE and clean water in a trough in shade too. Miniature pigs bloat easy!! if she was disturbed in anyway by the goats and sheep she maynot have gotten to go to the bathroom place of her choice miniature/ pot belly pigs are clean animals if they can't get to that potty place they will hold themselves till they die. They have one spot and thats where they want to go regaurdless. The signs of that are lathargic acting refusing to move and eat and having a swollen bloated belly and it can happen within hours of not being able to go.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. bensteph821

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    From What I read pigs are omnivores so I didn't see feeding them meat an issue...she had a hole that we filled with water every day..was perfectly happy and had found her "pooping place" already. This pig was raised with sheep and goats(two sheep we brought over from same rescue) and our goats are babies. So I don't think any of That could possibly be the reason she died. We also had her on grower feed. The meat Was just a one time treat.

10. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    A pig will eat anything you put in front of them that doesn't mean you should feed them meat or other rotten and spoiled foods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by