Sick Plymouth Rock Barreds HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wanda P, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Wanda P

Wanda P New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Greenfield Center, NY
    We have 4 Plymouth Rock Barreds and 4 Speckled Susex chickens all about 20 weeks old. we started getting eggs about a week ago, I believe the Barreds as they have the yellow feet. Today we found 1 barred dead in the yard i though maybe she was egg bound. But we have another barred who's comb in folding over and she stands humped up and tail down. I brought her in and gave her an nice warm epsom salt bath, she just said there not moving, her vent was clear and I felt no signs of an egg. I have her isolated in a crate down stairs, she stand by the water and continually drinks, she just pooped and it is a bloody mess. What are we dealing with hear? When I inspected the chicken yard I found evidence of bloody stools not sure if it is this girl or the one who passed but this does not feel like egg bound to me. Please help!!!!

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Yikes I'm sorry nobody got back to you. How is your hen doing? Bloody poop usually indicates coccidiosis and is treated with corid available at tractor supply or farm store in the states. Are they new to your property?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X2. Corid (amprollium) liquid or powder is very good for the treatment of coccidiosis. Here is a good link on this:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. Wanda P

Wanda P New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Greenfield Center, NY
    I took her to the vet she did in fact have coccidiosis, we got antibiotics and some probiotics but she did not make it through the night. We got antibiotics for the others should they look like they need it but so far I think they are fine. We have probiotics for water etc. Thank you for asking.

These are our newest, we have had chickens before.

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh I'm sorry :(

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. As well as Corid, DiMethox and Albon (sulfadimethoxine) and Sulmet are used in treating coccidiosis. In some countries toltrazuril is used. Corid treats all 9 or more strains. Corid is not an antibiotic, and sometimes can be safer due to toxicity in some sulfa drugs.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by