sick polish pullet

Well I spoke too soon. She just had a watery poo, see picture. No sign of swelling on her toe. I didn't see any mites on her crest either.

IMG_2466.jpg

I got her at about 2 weeks of age. The whole flock (6 in total) is around 3 months, except one cream legbar who is a few weeks younger (and much much smaller.). The rest of the flock is from a well-respected breeder, but she is from a hatchery, and is the only polish.

I got her at about 2 weeks of age. The whole flock (6 in total) is around 3 months, except one cream legbar who is a few weeks younger (and much much smaller.). The rest of the flock is from a well-respected breeder, but she is from a hatchery, and is the only polish.
Was she fully integrated before she became sick or was she always a loner?

She was integrated but became the lowest in the pecking order. Even lower than the tiny cream legbar, who joined us when the other chicks were about 7 weeks.

How do I deworm?

Btw: the chickens free range in my woodland garden during the day. They love it but obviously they are exposed to worms... My garden has very rich soil, all plants, no lawn.

She was integrated but became the lowest in the pecking order. Even lower than the tiny cream legbar, who joined us when the other chicks were about 7 weeks.

How do I deworm?

Btw: the chickens free range in my woodland garden during the day. They love it but obviously they are exposed to worms... My garden has very rich soil, all plants, no lawn.

As you are living in the US. this would be what you can get for de-worming and I would de-worm the whole flock:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-and-is-it-effective.1351757/#post-22284048

There come several possible causes to mind:

It might be that her crest is overgrown as happens often with crested breeds and she has obstructed vision. Please trim back the crest to allow for unobstructed view.
This! I had to give my sweet Polish girls haircuts. I noticed they always had a jerkier movement than my other birds. Kinda like they were tossing their hairdo around.

Maybe after all treatment is done it would be nice for her if you could get her another polish so she will no longer be the outcast.

Back
Top Bottom