sick polish pullet

UPDATE: She is still separated from the flock, and is inside during the day to escape the severe heat wave we are experiencing. She looks forward now to eating soft boiled egg each day, and some watermelon, but is still barely pecking at the bird feed. Also she is looking perkier. I am treating for Cocci -- I don't have the worm stuff yet.

When should I reintegrate her?

These hormonal youngsters can really stress the pullets a lot. It is better to separate them at around 10 weeks of age, sometimes even younger.

If you have misbehaving cockerels or roosters, there is no law that demands you have to give them access to the pullets and hens. Lots of chicken managers keep a "bachelor pad" for the boys. If you desire ferilized eggs for some reason, letting the rooster have access to the hens for several hours once a week is all that's required.

I have a system where my two roosters go out of the run for most of the morning to give the girls relief from their attentions. This makes for a more relaxing morning while the hens are busy laying, and the old hens know they don't have to watch their backs.

Well one cockerel is going back to the breeder tomorrow. The other -- we will try to deal with. He is much faster than me and I could not catch him tonight to put him in the other (tiny) coop.
There is no chasing around necessary, just wait until dark and pick him from the roost.

Back
Top Bottom