Sick polish rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl25, Aug 19, 2013.

1. chickengirl25

chickengirl25 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    My three month old pet rooster Gilly has been sick for the past three days and the second day I brought him inside because he was very cold. Gilly is very wobbly and his waddles are a lighter red color than they usually are. He has been pooping large amounts of poop about every 35-45 minutes and sometimes he will start eating it. Also he doesn't walk around much and sleeps a lot. He does eat and drink which is good. So I don't understand why he is so weak. Just now he pooped out a big pile of poop and it had a few bloody spots in it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. chickengirl25

chickengirl25 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    He just recently pooped and there were a few spots of blood in it. Please help quick I don't know what to do.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like Coccidiosis to me. Coccidiosis is a disease of the intestinal tract caused by protozoa. It causes weakness, droopiness, lethargy, bloody diarrhea, sleepiness, and paleness.

Treat with Corid (Amprolium), for cattle. There is a powder version and a liquid version. The dosage for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the dosage for the powder is 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water, given for five days. Corid can be purchased relatively easily, and I'd get it as soon as possible!

Until you get the Corid, you can help him by giving him powdered milk or buttermilk. These two products help coat the intestine so that the progress/affects of the disease are delayed.

Hope I've helped! Good luck with your little rooster!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by