sick pregnant goat?????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Catfishingpokey, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    our goat which is about 4 months along in her pregnancy has been acting sick today. after checking her out i found that her udder is larger on one side than the other and it seems to be hurting her.could this be mastittis.

2. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    We called a vet who had a "yellow pages" ad saying he treats livestock and described to him what was going on with her. (We couldn't get in touch with our regular vet.) One side of her udder is very tight and a bit warm. He said to milk her out every two hours and start her on penicillan. He said sounds like mastitis. Pokey milked her out on the one side, no blood or pus or anything in the milk. Milking did seem to relieve her a bit. Vet said we can call him if we need help. Nice guy...may start using him all the time with her.

This is her first time to kid, and her due date is supposed to be March 6. Anybody else had to deal with mastitis in goats before they kid? Any additional advice anyone can give us?

Kim (for Pokey)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. I hope she feels better soon!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aww! poor goatie![​IMG]

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I would have her tested before I was sure about mastitis this early. I have some reservations about milking her before she kids...well a lot of reservations. Also, mastitis treatment isn't just milking them out - it's also ToDay and a round of antibiotics.

Regardless, I've not had a case of mastitis (knocks on wood!), so I cannot really help. I would think though that the milk would be different somehow (stringy, pus globs, blood...) if it were an infection.

PLEASE be very sanitary about milking her, and be SURE to dip her teats afterwards so that if this ISN'T mastitis, you don't accidently induce mastitis.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Could she have injured her udder, or sustained a bite on that side? What are the other symptoms?

7. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    Doesn't appear to have any injury, one side of udder just very full of milk, seems very uncomfortable for her. She has eaten a little this morning, but not her full ration. Ears are droopy, you can tell she just doesn't feel good. She is shifting back on forth on back legs.

Okay, frantically searching internet, ran across some stuff about hypocalcemia (milk fever) in goats toward end of pregnancy. Anyone know if this might be it, what signs to look for?

Kim

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yup I have two does that I have to treat for mild hypocalcemia in late gestation. They get lethargic, go off feed. I use CMPK to get them through it. BTW the does in my herd who have this always do so when they have multiples [​IMG]

9. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    Okay...I LOST IT!!! I sat outside with her feeling her labored breathing, her ears feeling cold to the touch, her head was resting on my leg. I put my hand on her side, could feel babies kicking around (first time I had felt them, she normally doesn't stand still long enough), she was moaning and groaning in pain!!! I came in bawling, because I was certain she wouldn't make it through the night. Told hubby we had to bring her in house, it was too cold for her to be so sick outside. He refused. Finally he called the vet we've been talking to and he agreed to meet him at the office. Pokey and Mary are on the way to Abilene to the vets office. Ever watched anyone load a big old pregnant Saanen goat in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
    It's about a 45 minute drive over there.

This will cost us a small fortune. Oh, well, what else are we gonna use that income tax refund for.

Will keep you updated on how things turn out, but send our Mary goat some good wishes. And in the mean time, Mary's mostly nubian companion is going to make us CRAZY calling for her friend. Needing ear plugs.....

Thanks,

Kim

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:i want to just say..thank you for bringing that sick baby to the vets![​IMG]..and i hope she and the baby will be okay![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by