Sick pullet - cough/crackly/hiccupy - Videos in thread

Lozzle

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster. I am new to the backyard chook scene and have had 3 happy pullets for a couple of months.

Day before yesterday (Friday) we had a very hot day here in Western Australia and my little Spicy (frizzle x australorp apparently) suffered what I can only think was a bit of heatstroke. I was keeping them cool as possible, I watched over her and she drank and ate and was pretty good by yesterday although without all of her usual perkiness. She got into the strawberries and ate a fair few of these plus a bit of lettuce.

She was subdued again yesterday afternoon and today I've gone to see her and she's acting strange. Can anyone see the below videos and help me? She gave a little squawk when she poo'ed which is a bit runny and bright orangey/yellow. You can see a splotch of it by her foot in the video called Spicy 2. I'm worried she's in pain.

0.jpg

0.jpg

Unfortunately I lost my Spicy this morning shortly after I submitted the post. She had an advanced respiratory infection. A tough lesson for me to learn about how well chooks hide their problems til it's too late.

Very upset but the vet and I could do nothing.

Maybe this thread and videos will help someone else in future.

Back
Top Bottom