Sick pullet - Heavy breathing, lethargy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gemsbok, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Gemsbok

Gemsbok Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Hello, I'm basically brand new to chicken rearing, and just got two wyandotte pullets on the 3rd. They're both between 6 and 8 weeks old, and the smaller gold-laced girl is fine, eating and drinking and pooping normally. The larger, silver-laced girl, however, has been acting a bit off since we got her, she had some non-bloody diarrhea and was a bit puffed up. Initially I chalked it up to stress, since they were both peeping and eating and drinking, and she had no outward injuries or signs of discharge.

Since then, though she's still had diarrhea, and has kept her head very close to her body, unlike the gold-laced, who's been bright eyed and stretching her neck out to look around. The silver has also started breathing loudly since yesterday, not quite labored but somewhat wheezey-sounding. There was a quiet, dull 'clicking' sound under the sound of her peeping. This morning when I changed their water, she would drink, and then close her eyes for a few seconds around before going back to drink more. She's also been markedly less active than the gold. I'm getting nervous for her, but I don't know if I should contact the farmer for selling me a sick bird, or if it's my fault for stressing them out.

I have been feeding them purina chick starter/grower for the three days I've had them, along with a small sprinkle of dried mealworms in their feed. They're in an indoor area that has never been inhabited by other chickens. They're in light, and the gold one hasn't shown any signs of being sick. I do know that the gold pullet was kept in a different area of the farm than the silver, who was brought out of a coop with other chickens inside. The flock seemed healthy when I picked them up.

Does anyone know what could be going on, and how to help her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would get some Corid (amprollium) at your feed store right away, and treat them for cocccidiosis. Blood in droppings is not always present, but she has the other symptoms, and is at the right age for it. Dosage is 2 teaspoons of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat both birds at the same time. Afterward, get some vitamins and probiotics for chickens, and put some in their water for 3 more days to replace the beneficial gut bacteria and vitamins lost. I would also watch for more respiratory symptoms. It is possible that they came from a farm that possibly had a carrier of respiratory disease. Here is some info on cocci:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

"Puffing up" while suffering with coccidiosis

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Gemsbok

Gemsbok Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Thank you very much for the response! I'll start treating them and keep an eye out for other symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by