SICK PULLET?????HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, Oct 20, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Howdy my Barred Rock(bantam i think) pullet is 7months old and she has been laying lots of eggs but all of a sudden, she has quit this thursday it will be 2 weeks since she laid an egg, is she sick? or just not regular yet? shes not gone this long before.whats happening?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Is it possible that she's hiding them somewhere? I had a hen that literally laid her eggs on the floor of the coop, in the corner and then covered them with pine shavings. I only found out because I saw the end of one sticking out of the shavings one day.

If she free ranges she could be laying them anywhere.

Does she show any signs of sickness?

3. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i havent see anything of sickness but she is in a hutch, comfy enough for 2 chickens but more is croweded. i don't think its possible...i haven't seen anything but i don't knwo what to live for.

4. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    help please i need to know!!!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    As the daylight gets shorter, mother nature tells them to stop laying, as they need the rest period to rejuvenate.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You might try asking a mod to put this thread in the right section " chicken behavor and egg laying " You might get more answers to your question that way !!!!!!!

If she is not acting sick then I would guess 1. She is not regular yet, how long has she been laying ? 2. Could she or another hen be eating them ??

Does she seem egg bound ??? Walking odd acting funny ???

7. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    swtangel321 , she is 8 months old and started laying in august. she has been doing some lik maybe 5 a week or somethin. she is my only hen, i give her oyster shells....

Wynette, for how long? i though barred rocks were steady layers? is she quitting for the winter?

8. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i need more replies please!!!!

9. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    She could be egg bound. Try this board: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. They are very good at helping others. Also could be going through a hard molt. They usually do that this time of year and they stop laying then also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by