Sick pullet, holding head close to body

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I have a 3 month old EE that is always holding her head very close to her body, she's always kind of napping. But I havent seen any red or green poop from her. She isn't sneezing, no sign of sickness other than her being lethargic and holding her head close. I don't know if it might be wry neck? I've been treating all of my chickens with Vet Rx for a few of them having the sniffles. I really don't know what's wrong with this one... I've seen her eat and drink fine

Describe your coop, bedding and ventilation in detail.

20190206_150605.jpg
20190206_150621.jpg

It's a kitchen and a living room in an old house that we use for storage. I don't have a real chicken coop. The bedding is tractor supply pine shavings. I know it's not ideal but it's the only place to keep them warm. I keep heaters on the lowest settings right now while it's cold out

It looks OK for housing. I don't know where you are located but those windows don't look open. They need big ventilation before warmth.
In fact, they shouldn't need heat at all unless it gets well below zero but they still need fresh air.

Can you post a picture of the lethargic chicken? Sitting hunched and puffed up with acting lethargic sounds like she is sick. At that age coccidiosis can be the problem, but if you have a respiratory problem going on, you really need to make sure that she is drinking well. Poultry NutriDrench could be of benefit. If she has any runny poops I would go ahead and start them all on Corid (amprollium) in the water. Dosage is 10 ml (2tsp) per gallon of water for 5 days.

Can you post a picture of the lethargic chicken? Sitting hunched and puffed up with acting lethargic sounds like she is sick. At that age coccidiosis can be the problem, but if you have a respiratory problem going on, you really need to make sure that she is drinking well. Poultry NutriDrench could be of benefit. If she has any runny poops I would go ahead and start them all on Corid (amprollium) in the water. Dosage is 10 ml (2tsp) per gallon of water for 5 days.

20190206_122729.jpg

20190206_122820.jpg

She kind of stays hunched like this all the time. I'll start the corid just in case and get her to drink some nutridrench. Thank you

Give the NutriDrench, 1 ml, then stop it for the 5 days she is on Corid, and make sure that she drinks well. You may give her the undiluted Corid 0.1 ml twice a day in addition to the Corid water. Here is a pic of a chicken with coccidiosis:
upload_2019-2-6_20-4-50.jpeg

Give the NutriDrench, 1 ml, then stop it for the 5 days she is on Corid, and make sure that she drinks well. You may give her the undiluted Corid 0.1 ml twice a day in addition to the Corid water. Here is a pic of a chicken with coccidiosis:
View attachment 1665802

Thank you, I have kind of a dumb question but can I mix the corid and the water with the nutridrench in the same waterer?

No once you start Corid, she cannot take vitamin B1, since Corid mimics thamine or B1 to kill coccidia. But you can give her a dose of 1 ml, and stop it when you start Corid, then give it at the end of the 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom