SICK PULLET! Just stands around when she does walk she stumbles. PLEASE HELP!

chickincrazy

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014
The middle of nowhere
I have a four month old mutt pullet. She is the sweetest thing ever. But this morning when I let her into the run to play she just stood there and fluffed up. She walked a little but stumbled quite a bit then stood and fluffed up again. I thought maybe she was just really weak from hunger (i got up late this morning) so I gave her some food but she just weakly pecked at it. She seemed thirsty but acted too tired to drink. I separated her from her buddies just in case, but if it's a contagious disease, it's too late. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT"S WRONG WITH HER? I have NO idea what's going on. Her name is Finch.

She could have coccidiosis if she is lethargic, having diarrhea, and not eating. Corid or amprollium in the water will treat that. Have you wormed her lately? Do your chickens have food and water in their coop before you let them out each morning?

She needs to be brought inside to a warm room or cage (80-85 degrees). Once warm, she will probably needs fluids. Best way is to tube them. Tube 15ml per pound, then again in 60-90 minutes.

Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
If you can get the tube and syringe, I can teach you by phone or here.

-Kathy

Once you get some water in her you can give here Corid (amprolium).

-Kathy

Tractor Supply sells Corid and syringes. Petsmart sells aquarium air line that you can use as a tube, but you will need to modify the end with a lighter so that it's not sharp.

Last edited:
Well, she doesn't have diarrhea. And she doesn't have worms. I dunno. She only wants to sleep. She just stands there and sticks her head under her wing. Luckily, she has been drinking and I have been giving her coccidiosis meds and colloidal silver. Hopefully, like Eggcessive and casportpony said, the coccidiosis medicine will work.

Last edited:
Good news! My pullet is acting normal again. She has no signs of weakness or illness. She is now a happy bird!

ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom