Sick pullet lethargy

Lincy

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2016
My three month old pullet presented with lethargy almost a week ago. I have had her separated and giving Sq fluids. Not eating or drinking on her own. She is vaccinated for mereaks and coccidia. No new birds, change in feed or other symptoms. The rest of the flock is fine. She was dewormed at onset of lethargy. No mites present. No wounds or bites, swelling or discharge. She isn't laying yet. No sneezing, wheezing, or coughing.

I am at a total loss as to what is causing this. Any help or advice? Maybe a mushroom? She could have taken a bite out of my mini horse's pain meds (bute), but I figured that would have cleared her system by now.

She is in a 1/2 acre wooded lot with other birds, a mini donkey as pasture guard, and mini horse. She is secured at night in a coop.

How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, puffy, hard, or doughy? Can you get her drinking some fluids and give a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes? What do her poops look like?

How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, puffy, hard, or doughy? Can you get her drinking some fluids and give a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes? What do her poops look like?
Crop is empty. Just flat. I've been forcing sugar water with electrolytes as many times as I can throughout the day. In addition to the subq fluids. I've tried getting some water with food in her, but she hasn't taken that well. She is still standing throughout the day and gets annoyed with the fluids... That gives me some hope, but we cannot continue like this. Poop is white with black and green

Do you have a vet who would check her droppings for coccidiosis and worms, just in case the vaccine failed or didn’t cover all of the strains of coccidia in the soil? Are you using sterile saline or lactated ringers for the subcutaneous fluids? You could also tube feed fluids and baby bird feed.

Do you have a vet who would check her droppings for coccidiosis and worms, just in case the vaccine failed or didn’t cover all of the strains of coccidia in the soil? Are you using sterile saline or lactated ringers for the subcutaneous fluids? You could also tube feed fluids and baby bird feed.
Sterile saline out of an iv fluid bag. Using sterile needles ect.

I could see about the vet. They are all overwhelmed here and taking appointments months out. I can get some corrid and start treatment for coccidia, but the poop doesn't match what I've associated with coccidia in the past.... I definitely could be wrong though. Anything else I should try?

I've never tube fed. I'm sure there is a youtube video out there for me.

I'm so lost on what caused this. Could it be genetic? I've dealt with badly formed kidneys catching up to youngsters as they age, but her symptoms do not match kidney failure.

Thanks for the help.

I've been continuing to tube feed. Giving amoxicillan 150mg twice a day. Started corid as well. No change. She's stands and will walk. Poop is bright green and white. I've been giving 40/50 mls of food 4 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom