Sick Pullet, multiple problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bgrantalasykes, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bgrantalasykes

bgrantalasykes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Hello, I have a pullet that I noticed yesterday was quite ill. To start she had watery poop that froze and blocked her vent, this was dealt with now
    She wont open her eyes
    Her poop is watery and greenish yellow
    She is gaping and occasionally seems to be sneezing (no swelling or mucous from nostrils or eyes, no noticeable worms in mouth/throat)
    Once we inspected her we also noticed she has lice....

She is a brahma about 7 months

She somewhat willingly drank water yesterday night and had small amounts of yogurt. I believe the poop colour is a sign of not having eaten, but the why is what I'm not certain on. This morning she wont eat or drink a thing, although I forced some electrolytes into her, she wont accept much.
    It has been very cold here (-25 degrees C, or -4 Fahrenheit), our other chickens are not thrilled about the temperatures, but are still producing and fairly active.

Thank you!, I'm sorry I only ever seem to post about my sick chickens, but soon I'll be an expert to offer my advice!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The greenish yellow droppings are definitely abnormal, and not eating is one sign of green stools. She sounds like she has a bad respiratory disease if she is gaping and sneezing. Does she have a bad odor around her face, any swelling of her face, or nasal drainage? She should be on an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injections unless she has a bad odor which could indicate coryza, and then I would get her on Di-Methox (sulfadimethoxine) or Sulmet.

3. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    No drainage or swelling or odour. I am not sure about antibiotic availability... In canada we would have to take her to a vet this and it would cost more than we could afford. Anything natural i could try? I will inquire about tylan antibiotic at feed store tomorrow to see if there maybe some equivalent

4. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    We noticed lice when we inapected her more closy.. theyre obviously bothering her but could this be causing her illnesa of this degree?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mites could cause anemia and weakness, but lice I don't think would cause her to be having the symptoms she has. Can you get worm medicine in Canada, such as Flubenvet or fenbendazole?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Canadians can get fenbendazole paste for horses, don't know about antibiotics...

-Kathy

7. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    We can get antibiotic creams but no strong drugs without a vet. I am going to try a vet supply store today and see what is available. I dont think she has worms, as least not gape worm and no signs in her poop of intestinal... she is disgustingly covered in lice though... poor girl i cant believe i let her get so bad. I dont think shes going to make it... shes still strong but fights me a lot on water and food...and it is 2days now at least without..
    Oh geez

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Treat for the lice, ASAP and learn how to tube feed. Once she's stable, de-worm with 10% fenbendazole horse paste (Safeguard, Panacur or generic). See tube feeding link in my sig.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  10. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Hi just wanted to update, she is on tetracycline currently.. this is day 2, but since i ppsted therr hasnt been much change in her behaviour... although ove noticed a few more things... she refused foood and water in quarantine (although fairly large room) as soon as i let her venture beyond the door she would drink on her own to the point of vomiting when she tips her head down. She also explores for food but is much more interested in pieces of dirt than food... ive tried mounting it up higher for her, because she was pecking the air, tube feeding just wasnt an option for me. I waited one day to delice to see how the anyibiotics do with her then ill delice tonight.
    It seems like her crop is full of liquid even after 12 hours of no intake does that seem right? I dont want to overdo the liquids and have a new issue with her crop occur.

Thank you for everyones suggestions and help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by