Sick pullet...need help diagnosing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ewe Mama2, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    I have an 11 week old Buff brahama pullet that has been sick for the past three days. I'm honestly surprised she has lived this long.

She was completely fine when I put her in the barn on Monday night. Tuesday morning she was laying on her side and had no ability to stand up. She could not eat and kept her eyes shut. I kept dipping her beak into water mixed with a little flax seed oil and molasses to try to keep her hydrated. This has gone on for the past three days. Today she was finally passing some poop, which clumped all over her bottom, so I had to cut it off and try to clean her up. Wednesday afternoon, she finally opened her eyes for brief moments and today she looked at me with some spark of life. She is so weak and still cannot sit up. She has no neck control. She has pooped a couple more times, stinky dark poop. I have been giving her a gruel of water, cornmeal and molasses this afternoon (with a pipette).

Any idea what is wrong/what I can do to help her?

All advice is gratefully appreciated!

Amy

2. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    What color is her poo?

3. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Dark brown poo

4. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    She's still alive this morning and continues to be unable to do anything but lay on her side.

Any help, please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by