Sick Pullet - pics added

thumper76

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
W. WA, land of the wet.
I looked through this thread and didn't find something matching the symproms so here are hers:

She hatched Aug 28th. Gold wyandotte pullet. Has been acting normal until now. Today she has been standing with her tail feathers nearly on the ground and her other feathers fluffed out. She ate some feed that I scattered around her this morning but as time went by she separated herself from the other hens and was very disinterested in her surroundings. One of her eyes is closed, but there was no discharge. Her beak was slightly open as well, but no discharge or weezing. I also noticed her occasionally preening herself but then she would just fluff her feathers out again and stand very still.

I am a little stumped. I let all the hens out in the main yard to scratch around yesterday and I can't imagine that she ate something bad, but I don't know. A couple of the other hens took some time to stand with her today. One is from the same hatch and the other is a mature hen, neither picked on her, they just stood with her. I did pick her up and look her over, no sign of mites or external parasites. When I put her down she picked up her tail for a little while and walked around but then became droopy again.

Any help is appreciated.

Her bad eye:

Last edited:
If she doesn't have lice (be sure to check the bases of the feathers around the vent for egg sacs and live adults), my second guess would be worms or maybe she's egg bound. Feel her tummy just below her vent to see if you feel an egg there. I would provide her with vitamin enhanced water and consider worming if you find she's not egg bound or carrying lice.

Thank you. I did thoroughly check her for lice/mites. She is not laying yet and her comb has yet to start to brighten up but I will try to check her for being eggbound. What ever it is that she has it seems to have come on rather quickly. I hope she is still alive tomorrow.

Where are you at or at least what is your weather like and how has it been the last 2 days... she sounds cold for 1, could be internal parasites, could be a lot of things, feel her crop is it hard tonight if so check in the am if still hard could be plugged up with maybe grass or something she ate.
I'm guessing she is having some laying problems, does she seem to be ppushing when she squats? though not sure how to address them if so cuz I haven't had any problems yet with mine, but she should be laying at 6 months old, could be a late starter but my SLW layed at 5 months. not sure if they are late layers. I know EE's typically are. so maybe other breeds as well. the squatting thing could just be she is getting ready to lay, and she sees you as the roo.......
I would separate her bring her in or at least give her a light if she is cold in a separate pen, give vitamins, electrolytes , scrambled eggs or boiled eggs, yogurt cottage cheese, no oil unless you think her crop is plugged. and check to see what her droppings look like, might even see a worm that would make it easy. Then just watch her and post anything new you see that seems strange, more info is needed for all these wonderful peeps to diagnose. Kim

I am in W. WA. Weather has been cool and wet, but nothing out of the ordinary. I felt her today and her crop was empty and I couldn't feel any bulge or egg feeling on her abdomen. She pooped a fairly normal poop while I was out there. She isn't squatting, she is just standing there all hunched up with her feathers fluffed out. Her right eye is still closed, but no discharge from it and the skin around her other eye appeared swollen to me today, again with no discharge. She does seem to pick her feet up overly high when she does walk, but I assumed it was from the poor depth perception due to her closed eye. She did not eat when I tossed some food out to her.

Maybe I will bed one of our cat carriers down and put her in it in the house today.

Is there a certain kind of yogurt that is best? I am assuming non flavored?

Thank you for the continued suggestions.

She is still alive and is in a cat carrier in my laundry room so she can stay warm. I have been feeding her moistened layer which I have to force her to eat. I have also been forcing water down her with a syringe. There has been little to no change in her eyes. She did clean herself a bit after I gave her water this morning and she is rather vocal when I open her box. I am just stumped as to what is wrong with her.

I am still stumped by this pullet, she has had no change in her appearance. I have seen her eat and drink but she is still fluffed up, lethargic and her eyes are almost shut with no discharge. She goes into the coop at night and roosts on the cart that everyone else goes on during the day but she doesn't really move around much. I dewormed everyone and there was no change in her. Her comb is still flat and has become more pale. I just expected her to either recover or die but she is just in stasis and I have no clue what is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom