SICK PULLET PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hnichols, Nov 19, 2015.

1. hnichols

hnichols Out Of The Brooder

Hi all,

Today I noticed that my 10 week old black mottled pekin pullet is lethargic(sleepy) and not as active as the others. Her eyes are clear and so is her nose and there is no sign of wheezing or coughing. She is very light in weight and drinks water bat attemps at the the food but doesn't actually eat it. She does move around to follow her little friend the stops in a corner, fluffs up and closes her eyes. She has no mites but did have runny waste which then bathed her in some espom salts. I have no icolated bat she alert and not her sleepy self.

Any thoughts or information would be much apreciated i have had to many chicken die this month plus she is one of my favourites.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What did the others die of?
    Where are you located?
    When a bird is lethargic, it is very sick but without lab work, there is no way to know for sure what the problem is or what is the appropriate course of action.
    If you've had multiple deaths in short order, it is time for a necropsy to find out what you're dealing with or you take the chance of losing the whole flock and any new birds you would bring into the same housing.

3. hnichols

The previous 7 chicken that have been killed have been from awks and magpies. I am in Australia, Queensland. I previousl had a lethargic hen with the same stuff this pullet ahs and the next day it was healthy and fine so i say that not everytime a chicken is lethargic she will die

4. roselerfarm

roselerfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    How's your pullet today?

5. hnichols

She is getting better i think some rest just did her well. Hows your hen going?

6. roselerfarm

roselerfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Townsville, Australia
    That's great. Yes my hen is better now too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by