sick pullet - very lethargic, closed eyes

dnaleonard

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
I am new to chickens. I have a 14/15 week old pullet who went suddenly/overnight lethargic and will not open her eyes. She has no mucous around eyes/nose/mouth, breathing normally, no head shake, no cough/sneeze, no obvious fever. She eats medicated chick starter and has free run of the yard during the day. Her food and water are hanging and her coop w/second floor apartment is cleaned every other day at the longest. The other 4 in the flock are acting normally. She was acting normally at 6pm last night when we checked food and water. She did not come out of her apartment when we opened the door this morning. I opened the side door and she was still on her roost with her eyes closed. I have been giving her a molasses drench for the last few hours. I have attached a photo of her poop after 5th round of molasses...

I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Please stop the molasses--that causes more diarrhea. Lethargic, puffed up, poor appetite, and diarrhea (sometimes with blood) usually can mean cocidiosis in a 15 week old as ChickensAreSweet posted. Corid liquid 2 tsp (or 1.5 tsp powder) per gallon of water for 5 days, and treat all chickens at the same time. Give vitamins and probiotics for a couple of days afterward. This won't harm them if something else is going on. Check for mites, and consider worming once Corid is finished. Here is a link for you: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
Thank you both. I will stop the molasses and look for Corid tomorrow. Should I continue electrolytes? I just made a little slurry and gave it to her with a dropper. She has started to stand up and open her eyes in the last 30 mins, but her eyes are very red. They are usually yellow and clear.

I have one other 14/15 week cream legbar and three 8/9 week blue orpingtons. Are the orpingtons old enough for the Corid?

Last edited:
Her eyes look a little dehydrated. Corid is safe for all chicks, and they take enough for their weight when they drink it. I don't want to scare you, but if it is really cocci, she can't wait until tomorrow to start on it. Give her buttermilk or milk mixed with chick feed if you absolutely can't start it until tomorrow to coat her intestines. Squirt a little electrolytes in too.
GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

Oooh - thank you! I am trying to find it, but it's after hours here. I've left a msg with an avian vet - none of the regular vets have it and the ag stores are closed. I will give her the feed and electrolytes either way. I've been giving her fluids every 30 mins. i hope that is ok.

Thank you very, very much for the help. She is so sad.

Back
Top Bottom