sick pullet w/strange symptoms (novel length)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by priszilla, Nov 8, 2008.

1. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I bought a bantam americana pullet at the Camden show about 7weeks ago.She was crawling with mnites and underweight at that time ( shouldn't have gotten her).I quarantined her and the pair if nankins I got that day- and dusted them with DE, treated them with ivermectin pour on too.After 3 weeks she began to sneeze, then get bubbly eyes.I did a course of terramycin (only antibiotic I had) she did noty improve or worsen, the others didn't get sick. I then did a second antibiotic- can't remember what it was though- for the 5 days (sulmet? maybe) she seemed much better.I seperated the nankins from her- the nankin pullet began sneezing grrr- but I did not treat her. so after about a week of all seeming well- the eye bubbles are back- then she couldn't even hold up her head.I thought I'd cull her but then today- she is fine- no sneezing, no nasty eyes no ratttle in her chest head up and perky- even escaped from her pen! (the nankins- if they stay ok will go out of quarantine in another week I guess).So-- what is up with this chicken? should I go ahead and cull her just in case? I only wanted her for blue eggs.I don't want her to share her weird illness with the flock and I'm not willing to treat her every week for something. I suspected coryza- but no bad smell. no diarhea or odd droppings. If she will be ok and not be typhoid mary she can stay-but I am so confused.I have been blessed to not have many sick chicken issues- don't want to start now

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll be honest... if it were me, I'd cull.

3. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I had planned to then she "recovered" but I think some starter fluid is coming her way.Shes still small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by