Sick Pullet- Wasting Away

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello BYC :frow:frow

I have kind of a unique situation going on. I have a 5 month old easter egger who has always been skinny and eaten a lot of food, never gains weight. I had thought previously "oh well i think shes just a smaller chicken, since she seems fairly healthy" Even tho shes practically always eating, now that i think about it....
Fast forward to now, shes still very small, seems like shes losing weight. She is lethargic and makes distressed noises at me when im in the enclosure. She has a tough time walking and sometimes falls over, and is also very weak. I got Ivermectin oral drench and treated her per the vet instructions on BYC (on another post) which was 7.5cc per gallon of water. My BEST GUESS is some type of internal parasite at this point. I also treated her per instructions with 0.5cc of watered down poultry drench direct to her mouth. She is aprox 1lb, maybe lighter honestly :hit:(
Her sisters are all probably 5lbs at this point, so i know somethings up. She seems to be getting worse, but i hope treatment will work:fl. Shes been displaying the above symptoms for about 3 days, today was the first I had the opportunity to pick up medicine and treat her, unfortunately

Any suggestions on what else i could do?
Anyone seen anything like this in their chickens???
Anyone know what it could be? Ive had sick chickens before, nothing like this.

Thanks so much!
M:bun

Hello BYC :frow:frow

I have kind of a unique situation going on. I have a 5 month old easter egger who has always been skinny and eaten a lot of food, never gains weight. I had thought previously "oh well i think shes just a smaller chicken, since she seems fairly healthy" Even tho shes practically always eating, now that i think about it....
Fast forward to now, shes still very small, seems like shes losing weight. She is lethargic and makes distressed noises at me when im in the enclosure. She has a tough time walking and sometimes falls over, and is also very weak. I got Ivermectin oral drench and treated her per the vet instructions on BYC (on another post) which was 7.5cc per gallon of water. My BEST GUESS is some type of internal parasite at this point. I also treated her per instructions with 0.5cc of watered down poultry drench direct to her mouth. She is aprox 1lb, maybe lighter honestly :hit:(
Her sisters are all probably 5lbs at this point, so i know somethings up. She seems to be getting worse, but i hope treatment will work:fl. Shes been displaying the above symptoms for about 3 days, today was the first I had the opportunity to pick up medicine and treat her, unfortunately

Any suggestions on what else i could do?
Anyone seen anything like this in their chickens???
Anyone know what it could be? Ive had sick chickens before, nothing like this.

Thanks so much!
M:bun
I would let the medicine have time to work. You could feed her high protein feed or some boiled eggs. Nutri drench has always helped my girls in times of weakness or stress. I've had wormy birds before but I always use ivermectin pour on for cattle.

Back
Top Bottom