Sick pullet- wheezing- sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DBScott, Sep 1, 2014.

1. DBScott

DBScott New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Hi- two weeks ago I noticed one of my pullets wheezing- another one had what looked like bubbles in her eye. And then another seemed like it was sneezing. It had rained for 3 weeks straight- then hot- I asked a friend with chickens what it was- and they thought a cold- and to worm them all and put them on an antibiotic- well after 4 days they all seemed well- and after 14 days I stopped the antibiotic- well today one was wheezing- and everyone's in awhile sneezes. What should I do? Does anyone know what this is? It does seem contagious- I thought it was a cold- I've got 40
    Chickens and have to get this gone- ideas?!?! Thanks

2. DBScott

DBScott New Egg

Sep 1, 2014

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Respiratory diseases in chickens can have similar symptoms, so you may not be ale to tell exactly what you are dealing with without testing by your vet, or by having a necropsy done by the state vet if a chicken dies. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplsma (MG,) ILT, and coryza are some of the common diseases, all of which make carriers of your flock (IB for 1 year) for life. IB and ILT are viruses that have to run their course. It is possible to have one of these complicated by another as a secondary infection. Tylan 50 injection given in a shot or by mouth is a good antibiotic to use. Here is a good link to read about the symptoms of these and other diseases to compare your symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by