Sick pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hogholley, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hogholley

Hogholley Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    Polk City, Florida
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help on a possible diagnosis of a sick sebright pullet. She started off doing a little gaping and stretching. Then she started gaping all the time, with zero noises while gaping or breathing. The videos linked to this thread is about day 5. She got a soft soft swollen crop and started to be still. She ate and drank on up till yesterday when she passed. I had put her on safeguard thinking maybe gapeworm at first. I don't believe that was it. She was 12 weeks old. I have a brother to her possibly getting it as well. Just started doing a little yawning like she did at first. Eats, drinks and gets around fine. Thank you for any help or opinions.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I embedded the videos for you:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In addition to her breathing, I see that she is limping. Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Nambroth, what do you think?

5. Hogholley

May 8, 2016
    Polk City, Florida
    I doubt it but I don't know, I didn't ask when I got them. They were 4 weeks old when I got them.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    @Casportpony, I'm glad you tagged me. I got an email, I haven't had time to pop over to BYC in ages.

This is not a diagnosis and I am not a vet, but this does look very similar to how one of my roosters presented, and he had Marek's confirmed.

His progression was very similar to what I see in the videos; he went from being slow and somewhat lethargic, to mild limping, to paralysis and gasping for air. Like this pullet, he had no discharge or breathing sounds when he was gaping. He was simply struggling to breathe. This is because Marek's was very aggressive in his body and he had lesions in his nervous system as well as aggressive cancerous tumors taking over his organs.

Unfortunately, if (emphasis on "IF") this is Marek's, their survival chances are very low once they start gasping. Some occasionally recover from the ataxia (paralysis/limping) with supportive care, but once they start struggling to breathe, it means their body is probably already full of Marek's tumors.

It's probably worthwhile to provide supportive care for them in case it is not Marek's, as long as they don't seem to be suffering. If they stop eating/drinking, you will need to make the tough decision on if you want to try tubing them and aggressively caring for them, or helping them along their way. Keep vigilant for any other symptoms, and if they pass please consider having a necropsy done, for the sake of the rest of your flock.

2 people like this.
  7. Hogholley

May 8, 2016
    Polk City, Florida
    Thank you for the info. She did pass yesterday evening. I have a young rooster, her brother, starting to open his mouth a little. I have him separated.
    The thing is she started with gasping, just him. Just a little then it got worse. She had no limping, or anything, just the gasping.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In video #2 it looks like she is limping to me.

Is this place near you?
    Bronson Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
    Florida Department of Ag and Consumer Services
    2700 N. John Young Parkway
    Kissimmee, Florida
    34741-1266
    Phone: 321-697-1400
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/baddl

Contact them and ask about getting a necropsy done. Even if they aren't close, you can ship overnight to them.

9. Hogholley

May 8, 2016
    Polk City, Florida
    You are right, she is limping, but that wasn't the first symptom. The video was day 5. The only symptoms before then was gasping.
    They are about 2 hours away. Thank you

10. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    The symptoms don't always all appear, nor do they always appear "in order". That's one frustrating thing about this disease. I hope you are able to find answers so that you know how best to help the rest of your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by