Sick Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruralhideaway, Apr 1, 2018.

1. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The problem with using an antibiotic while a hen is battling yeast in her crop is that it makes the yeast harder to clear up. Using a narrow spectrum antibiotic would be a better choice. If Clindamycin falls into that category, it would be a good choice.

It would help to give a probiotic as you treat this hen. It might help her body fight off the yeast as it tries to come back.

2. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I added a bit of ACV to her water and do have probiotics. I'll have to look into the best antibiotic I guess. That's slightly more complicated. I think everything I have is broad spectrum. Hmm.

My horse vet will give me whatever I need but likely won't know exactly what I need.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ask for something for E.coli. That's the most common bacteria that ends up in a hen's abdomen and oviduct.

4. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I'll do that thank you. A little research looking for an answer about a good one for e coli just got really confusing. Hopefully she'll know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: