Sick Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LarryTX, Jan 1, 2019.

1. LarryTX

LarryTX Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    North-central Texas
    I have a pullet that has been acting ill. She she was fluffed up and just not herself. I treated her yesterday with Vet Rx and she is better today. However, she will not open one eye. I checked the eye and a little watery (clear) and can’t see anything in her eye.
    Today, I put some Terramycin Ophthalmic ointment in her eye. She is still eating and drinking as usual. Is there anything else that might help. We are planning on showing her at Fort Worth Livestock Show if we can get her eye cleared up.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have photos?
    How old is she?

Is the eye swollen too? It could be caused by a respiratory illness like Mycoplasma or Infectious Bronchitis. General care for a closed eye with discharge is to flush with saline and apply ointment like you are doing.

Being fluffed up and not acting herself is concerning. How long have you had her?
    Antibiotics may help if she has infection, but this won't cure respiratory illnesses, it just treats the symptoms. Birds are still carriers when they recover.

Tylan50 is commonly used to treat Mycoplasma. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

If you suspect that she has a communicable/contagious illness that can be passed along to other birds, it would be good to get testing so you know what you're dealing with. Your STATE LAB can perform that for you.

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. LarryTX

LarryTX Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    North-central Texas
    We got the pullet about 4 mos. ago and she is about a year old. Her eye is a little swollen and she is isolated. I will get some saline solution and Tylan 50 this morning.
    Thanks,
    Larry

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. LarryTX

LarryTX Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    North-central Texas
    How frequently do you flush the eye and apply the ointment? I believe she is better today, but still has the swollen eye.
    Thanks

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can apply the ointment up to 3 times a day. I would flush each time.
    Hope she continues to improve.

6. LarryTX

LarryTX Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    North-central Texas
    Update on pullet - When I flushed the pullet’s eye this morning a yellow cheesy substance floated to the top. I lifted it out with my fingernails and it was not attached to anything. It was approximately 2/3 the size of her eyeball. It wasn’t solid or liquid. What could this be? Does this change the way she is being treated?

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like chicken pus.
    Do you have photos of her?
    Any facial swelling (sinus)?
    Does she have a bad odor about her?

It could very well be that she has a respiratory illness. You will want to keep getting the pus out since it will not come out on it's own. Flush and apply your ointment.
    Look inside her beak just to make sure there is no pus, lesions, canker, etc. in there too. Pay attention to the Choanal slit as well (see photo and link below)

You can also try treating her with antibiotics to help with secondary infection. Injectable Tylan50 can be found at stores like Tractor Supply. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sinus-infections.1074036/

Rosekitten, LarryTX and Eggcessive like this.
  8. LarryTX

LarryTX Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    North-central Texas
    Thanks. I will try to get photos. She has no facial swelling. The only swelling found is that one eye. Since the pus was removed, the swelling has gone down considerably. I am unable to detect any odor. There are no lesions, etc. The Choanal slit (which I have never heard of) appears just like the one in your photo. I started her on the Tylan 50 yesterday. I feel like your help has improved her situation a bunch. I really appreciate your help.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad the eye is better!
    Personally I would give her the full 5 days of Tylan50 since you started that. Keep flushing the eye, remove any pus you see, then apply your ointment up to 3 times a day too.

It's very good the Choanal slit is not filled with pus or mucous!

10. LarryTX

LarryTX Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    North-central Texas
    I just wanted to thank you for your help. The little pullet has both eyes wide open and acts as if she couldn’t feel better. Have a blessed new year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: