Sick pullet ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kinsey228, Aug 12, 2011.

1. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I have a 14 weekish BLR Wyandotte pullet that is sneezing and she seems to have a gurgling sound when she breathes. I have never seen this, and no one else in the flock is sick. My little pullet seems to want to sleep a lot. I have put Sav-A-Chick in the water to help her, but since I don't know what is wrong, I don't know what else to do. [​IMG] Any advice ? [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hi Kinsey,

Isolate that sick one ASAP. (do you have a pet taxi or a dog crate?)-- The gurgling would indicate that there is something wrong with the respiratory system IMO. I'm new to chickens since April. so I hope that someone with lots of expertise will jump in and provide you with more information.

search here on some of the chicken diseases perhaps symptons will point to a direction you should take.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Please provide more info - when did this begin? What is her diet? What is her poop like? Is she eating/drinking? Get her to vet if you can. Another option is to call Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/. He can help sort out what to do and send meds but it takes time to receive them by mail and this may well be much more time sensitive than that. I haven't had birds with respiratory issues but many others here have experience with this and will hopefully see your post. They may recommend Tylan 50 which you can likely get locally. Check around in case that's what gets recommended...........
    Keep your little one in a comfty dry warm quiet area (nice fluffy pine shavings to sleep in) with all creature comforts close at hand.
    Extra nutrition always good when unwell. Baby parrot hand feeding formula might appeal to her.....
    Use the "Search" function here on BYC to see other threads on respiratory issues.........
    JJ

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Ya it sounds like she has a respiratory infection quarantine her and get her baytril.
    My chicken had this recently

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Thank you all for your advice. This started a couple of days ago, and her feed is Purina Flock Raiser. Luckily the Hubby built a very nice brooder for me when my older chickens were babies, so she'll be going in there. I explained the symptoms to someone at my local feed store (which also carries medicine), and they suggested Duramycin-10. Does anyone have any experience with this antibiotic ?

6. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:Thank you so much for this link !!!! [​IMG]

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Many think duramycin/terramycin is pretty much worthless. Try Search feature here on BYC for more info.
    JJ

8. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    How long does it take for the antibiotics to work ? She has been on them for 2 days now, and all she wants to do is sneeze and sleep [​IMG] Anyone have any advice on what I should do to help her ?

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    As noted, I don't think that antibiotic will do the trick. You don't have time (that is, she doesn't have time) to mess around with the wrong med.
    JJ

10. donna1811

donna1811 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Tylan soluable is what you need. Its put into their water and works extremely quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by