Sick pullet.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Please, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Please

Please Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    So today we got a Leghorn pullet (hen) from a place with a bunch of chicks and pullets. When we got half way home from there I noticed she was sneezing a lot and she's got a bit of a runny nose. If there isn't anything wrong with her let me know xD,

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I hope you did not put her with the rest of your flock when you got home. If it were me, I'd take her right back to where you got her, it sounds as if she may have MG. This will infect any birds exposed to her.

3. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    I didn't, I isolated her when we got home so I could figure out what was wrong, but she was with 2 other birds on the way home (Got 3 pullets) but they don't sound like they've got a problem yet. What would I need to treat her though? I'll keep an eye on the rest of the birds. Are you sure it could be that? x3 She's not coughed yet.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    if she has got a respatory illness, treat her with tylan 50 injectable, dose is small birds 1/4 cc once a day for 5 days large birds 1/2 cc once a day for 5 days
    at this point, id wait a bit and check symptoms,is her breathing normal? any noises? if mucas is present in the nose if yes then id likely start treatment but if not id watch closely and see if more symptoms come. but its good to catch it early. so yes if she has the nose mucas, start the tylan. this should really help. you should see improvement in a few days! hope this helps and best wishes

5. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    With MG, Coryza and some of the other nasties, there doesn't have to be any symptoms at all. Scary huh? Smell near her nostrils, any foaming in the eyes? Sweaty under her wings? Coryza most probably. Sneezing, coughing, rattle when she breathes, are some of the symptoms of MG. Tylan 50 is one that can be used and you could also try a Duramycin-10 in their water. But I really think you should take them back where you got them. You were sold sick birds and you are risking total wipe out of what you had already as well as these new ones. This choice is yours to make. You can treat and probably will not have total wipe out but if it's one of these diseases, your birds will always have it and you really should close your flock now. Nothing in and nothing out. You can't sell any of your birds, you can't sell any of the eggs for hatching. To do so would put someone elses flock at risk. If you ever wanted to bring in new birds you would need to get all of your birds vaccinated before exposure to your birds. This is done during week 1 up to week 10 and then again in 4 weeks. This is for the MG and it is a very pricey vaccine as well. I bought it at 91.45 from Jeffer's last year to discover I didn't need it.

6. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    We are taking them back tomorrow, they are in a separate box right now. But she did get worse, she started wheezing and coughing. Now I feel like I got all my birds sick Dx. I don't know what to do now omg. x.x

7. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Slow down and take a deep breath! It's possible you did but if it were me I would have them all on Duramycin-10 right now. I would go with the 400mg dosing and give it to them for the 7 - 14 days. I don't know if you can beat it or not but it's worth a try at least.

8. Please

Mar 9, 2013
    How much is the Duramycin?

9. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Look, I've learned a lot of things the hard way as well. Don't beat yourself up over it now. What you need to do now is look up biosecurity and practise, practise and practise some more. Until you're exposed to the information about the diseases our poultry can get or you don't have an extensive library to fall back on, how would you know? I am a trusting person as well and usually find myself in a world of hurt because of it, lol. Educate yourself here and any other way you can. Read the threads under Emergencies and such. You'll learn, trust me, you can't help but pick it up.

Give your birds the antibiotics tonight if you can. The soonest the bestest in this case. Don't use the eggs from them for human consumption, if they are laying, for at least a week.

10. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    At my Tractor Supply it's around 6.00. It's not much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by