Sick pullets, runny noses, smelly, sneezing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessicaheilman, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Jessicaheilman

Jessicaheilman New Egg

Sep 12, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I recently purchased two jersey giant pullets from our local feed store. They seemed fine for the first three days, but after began sneezing and had "runny noses". I researched and got some antibiotics (Duramycin-10) and had them on it for 7 days after they seemed to be fine, so I took them off. We went out of town from thanksgiving and when we came home, they were back to being "sick". This time, one would just sit there with eyes shut, very lethargic, she would eat and drink a little but nothing good. So back on the Duramycin-10 we went. Well, here we are on day 9 and they are still sneezing and have runny noses. They are acting like pullets, eating and drinking normal etc. but one just has this smell about her...they don't have watery eyes or any other symptoms that seem to stand out besides sneezing, snot and smell. I am nervous it would be something far worse.

I don't want to keep them on the Duramycin-10 longer than the bag says (7-14 days) but I am unsure what to do. We have also put VetRx on their noses at night (and the rest of the flock). They have been with our other girls so I guess it's too late for segregation... I failed on that aspect *sad face*.

Any input would be helpful. Would injecting antibiotics be a better option?

Thank you so much in advance.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There is a remote possibility it may not be too late to quarantine if your birds aren't showing symptoms yet.

It may never help to give antibiotics if you don't know what the problem is.
    Respiratory problems can be bacterial but are just as likely to be viral, fungal, environmental, protozoal or even nutritional.
    Your best bet is to get a real diagnosis. At a minimum you need throat and nasal swabs to send to a poultry lab for testing. What state are you in?

http://poultryimprovement.org/documents/WIAV0020.pdf

In the future, quarantine for as long as possible (40 days) as far as possible from your birds (minimum 100 yards).
    Ideally, take care of your birds first before working with new birds, changing shoes and other clothing between.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Just a tip......Birds with respiratory illness need heat......They get chilled........

Even in the Summer when mine were suffering I ran heat at night.....I use Oxy-Tetra -A......My Birds have ILT Virus.....

Cut out all snacks......Only feed the Chicken food and water......

Cheers!

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good point. For sick birds, 80F is ideal.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

Thank you.........If I never heated my Coop I would of had dead Birds.....Have not lost one.......The meds I gave were enough with the added heat to control my issues with my Birds.....It is -28 with the Windchill today...Celsius.....Brrrrrrr....My Birds are heated and fine.......

Cheers!

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's cold.
    That's about as cold as it ever gets here and I don't heat. If I had those conditions, I'd have to come up with an elaborate ventilation system that would keep good fresh air on the birds. I've never lost birds to cold or bad air but I have lost them to heat.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickens really

My Coop is vented......Only about +2 Celsius inside my coop.....My water does freeze if the pop door is open......Moving the water under the lamp this afternoon.......Brrrrrrrr! so COLD!

Birds are in today....Pop door closed.......

I hate Winter..........

Cheers!

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You need to move south. I somewhat misspoke. If it is going to be below 0F, I'll add a bit of heat to buildings with big combed Mediterranean roosters to bring it up to about 15F.

I quit using any waterer for roosters that they could dip their wattles into.

9. chickens really

10. Jessicaheilman

Jessicaheilman New Egg

Sep 12, 2015
    I will try to increase the heat at night ASAP! We live in Southern California, but the nights do get chilly, about 40*F, their coop is a "Tuff Shed", but it is still chilly! Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by