Sick Pullets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katpur, Dec 17, 2013.

1. katpur

katpur New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    I bought 6 pullets 2 months ago and since then it's like I've been nursing them every day.

SNOW came with a cough which did not progress to anything.

ELIZABETH came down with nasty swollen pussy eyes and snotty nose and wheezing. thought she was going to die but she pulled through. treated her with garlic, raw honey and conjunctivitis cream for the eyes. also bathed and cleaned her snotty beak with 50/50 apple cider vinegar.

CLEOPATRA who was perfectly healthy started wobbling one day, then she sat down and 2 hours later died.
    I have had an autopsy which discovered a long standing upper respiratory tract infection and then E.Coli in her spleen which is what killed her.

SCARLET then got the upper respiratory tract and swollen eye symptoms so I took her to the vet and they all got put on antibiotics in their water and the same treatment as for Elizabeth. She is now fully recovered.

MAISY had a snotty nose and got the same treatment although it did not develop into much.

GREEBLY, who is the biggest and fittest just suddenly today started wobbling on her feet and just sat down. I am terrified that she is going to just die like poor little Cleopatra.

they were all immunised against Mareks and IB. All the housing and equipment is brand new and purpose built. they have a huge run. I sterilise all their feeding and drinking equipment almost daily. I give them fresh food every day.

WHAT is going on? My nerves are shredded :-(

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    So sorry to hear about all these sick girls! It sounds like you are doing what you need to do with the antibiotics in the water. Make sure they are staying warm and not catching any more chills while they recover. Plain yogurt mixed with apple cider vinegar and maybe a little feed is great recovery food for chickens. Good luck! Keep us updated on Greebly.

3. katpur

katpur New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for reply and concern. I should mention that I live in Perth Australia so it doesn't really get that cold. Temperature has been around 25 - 30 degrees since we got them with a bit of a heat wave this week up to 40 degrees. they always have nice shade and iced water to drink. Greebly is still hanging in there, it's now 4pm our time.

4. katpur

katpur New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Oh, and I'm going out to buy natural yoghurt for them in a minute. thanks for tip.
    For breakfast I have been giving the really sick ones a little warm porridge with half a crushed weetabix and raw honey (we also keep bees)
    sometimes a mashed banana in it... they love it and look forward to it now. silly chooks :)

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Without your knowledge, you purchased pullets that have some type of respiratory disease. Birds with respiratory diseases can be treated but are never cured. Survivors are carriers for life and will infect newly introduced birds. Stressed birds can show symptoms at any time in their lives requiring retreatment. If it's a viral disease, antibiotics are useless, but might be good for secondary bacterial issues if present.
    You can continue treatment and maintain a closed flock if you wish. Your other option is to cull them, disinfect everything, and wait several months before repopulating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by