SICK PUPPY ~ HELP ~ Please!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    We got a puppy back in December at the local horse sale and now he is really sick.

He is a black lab/springer spaniel mix and he is my 4 yr. old daughters puppy. I would say he is 5 months old.

Today I noticed he didn't come plowing in to eat or play or run me over so I looked for him and found him at the goldfish pond very sick acting. He is vomiting a white frothy spit type vomit and he is very lethargic and won't eat, just drinks water from the pond and lays back down sick.

He was suposed to have had his shots...Now I am thinking I shouldn't have trusted the folks giving them away on that because I feel like he has parvo due to his symptoms. My husband has already said NO to taking him to the vet in the morning. The only animals that make it to the vet here are the horses and that is just because we already have a good bit of money invested in them and they are money earners. I have no clue to what to do for him except try and get him rehydrated and try and get him to eat.

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do for him to keep him alive??? I am not sure it is parvo but I googled it and I think that is it. Is there any home treatments that you guys know of that I can try???? I really don't want him to die on us!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Rosewynd

Rosewynd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Parvo usually has a kind of "coppery" smell to it, when the diarhea starts.

Keep him hydrated. Can you do fluids subcutaneously?

By mouth, keep trying pedialyte... some of that will absorb IN the mouth.

3. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    Dont panic just yet i have chihuaha's and my female gets liek that quit often he is almost out of the parvo stage but it could still happen but sassy vomits the white foam and she has gastritus the best thing to do is take all food and water away from him for 24 hours lock himin a dog crate if you can to make sure he dont get anything to eat ro drank to give his stomach time to calm down most likely he has got ahold of some old scrapes or something that has tore his stomch up and after the 24 hours you can offer pedalite and you can give him pepto during the 24 hours for the vomiting if you can get him to take it keep me posted and here is my number if you need to call me please feell free 304-898-2420 and by the way the vet is what told me to do this and i breed and raise chihuaha's

4. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    distemper is the next thing to worry about.

My dogs pass a gastro-intestinal virus around every spring. Puppies that haven't had it can be quite sick for 24 hours. The older dogs might only miss a meal.

Just keep on with the fluids. He doesn't NEED any food right now.

5. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    I am NOT a vet but if I was in your shoes and thought it was Parvo I would see what is recommended on the web I thinks its an antibiotic but not for sure. Do you have some horse antibiotic around? Or I would beg like the dickens to get him to the vet. Please verify the info before giving anything to the pup but I think my Mom did that to a dog we found, my baby brothers left over penicillin. anyway the pink stuff and nursed her with baby formula and can dog food she pulled through it and lived 12 years after that.
    I hope you get better advice than mine and he pulls through it.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Husband said to give him Gatorade. Is the Pedialyte better?

7. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Parvo is a virus and viruses don't respond to antibiotics. But, I think you're right about them using one with Parvo anyway...... but it wasn't a penicillin. I think the biggest dangers are that the fever spikes too quickly and dehydration - and damage to the intestinal tract.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Something similar happened to my mothers cat last year. She is fine now. The vet said there are things like toads that have a bad tasting 'something' that when a cat/dog/whatever....tries to eat them, it gives a bad taste and makes the animal sick like that. My moms cat was foaming at the mouth for a day or 2. I hope thats all it is [​IMG]

9. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    Quote:I owuldn give anything for 24 hours give his belly time to calms down just give peto

10. Rosewynd

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    Quote:Pedialyte is better because the sugars will absorb through the mucous membranes in the mouth. Gatoraide will work if you don't have the pedialyte. Just fluids, lots of fluids....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by