Sick quail chick? Splayed legs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lisameow, Dec 23, 2016.

1. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Here's a photo of on of my baby king quails. Is sibling looks as alert and healthy as ever but when I went down he was laying down and didn't try to get away when I picked him up. He's very lethargic and he can't even hold his little head up:( plus I think he has splayed legs. What do?? He was healthy yesterday?[​IMG]

UPDATE: We've given him a little bit of egg yolk and water and have made him a tiny brace with some thread and a bit of bandaid. He seems to be doing a tiny bit better as now he can hold his head up and is calling for his mom. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    I have used tape for the splayed legs on my chicks. One did die from splayed legs that is because the others kept on stepping on it. If you make sure that the others don't step on it. It should live it looks like it is getting better since he called to his mom and held his head up. Hope the little chick survives.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Best of luck :D

4. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Hey, sadly he died. he just started getting weaker and weaker. We did everything, we kept him warm and made sure he had food and water. I guess this kind of thing happens though but it's still sad:(

5. Q QUAIL S

Nov 21, 2016
    I AM SO SORRY.[​IMG]

6. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    thanks, at least he's in a better place now. I don't think I'll be hatching quails for a while yet though haha

7. Q QUAIL S

Nov 21, 2016
    I hope you have better luck next time. By the way in the picture that you posted the little quail looks adorable, and I [​IMG]it's coloring. I wish I had baby quail!!
    But again I wish you better luck next time. I am so sorry.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by