Sick quail chicks - infection or deficiency? suggestions please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CheerfulChirp, Dec 25, 2016.

1. CheerfulChirp

CheerfulChirp Just Hatched

Jun 30, 2016
    UK
    I hatched out my second batch of quail chicks six days ago. I started out with 6 chicks, but 4 rapidly came down with what looked to be some kind of respiratory illness. They initially looked to be healthy, and were eating and drinking well, but on the third day they rapidly weakened and lay collapsed and panting in the brooder. It looked as though they had difficulty breathing. Three died that day, and one of the affected chicks initially appeared to completely recover for a few days. The other two chicks are healthy and strong.

I cleaned the brooder thoroughly and hoped for the best, but the chick that survived the first illness came down with more symptoms, different to before. These symptoms come and go gradually over several hours, so it's hard to tell whether the chick is recovering or dying. I'm offering water and hand-feeding every hour, and placing the chick under the heat lamp:

- Legs stiffened and outstretched, with the body straightened, as though the chick is trying to stretch out on tiptoes. The chick cannot stand or balance in this position unless it is leaning on bedding. Sometimes the legs shake slightly.
    - Eyes are almost always closed, as though sleeping.
    - The chick will readily and enthusiastically peck for water when it is offered. It seems very thirsty.
    - The chick won't peck for food (perhaps because eyes are closed?), but if I place grated egg yolk in its beak it chooses to take it in and swallow it.
    - Periods of weight loss when sick, but growth resumes when well - the breast bone is protruding quite a lot now though.
    - Poo seems a little watery, but no blood or mucus, and it is a normal colour with a little white on one side.
    - There isn't any swelling or discharge etc anywhere.

Does this sound like anything you recognise? Is there any treatment?

2. CheerfulChirp

CheerfulChirp Just Hatched

Jun 30, 2016
    UK
    The surviving chick is still hanging in there, and doesn't seem to have weakened further, but now has diarrhoea. It is watery and a yellow colour, the same as the egg yolk I've been feeding it. I'm giving lots of water.

Is it alright to keep on feeding a chick egg yolk if it is sick, or will it become nutrient deficient over time? Should I be mixing grated egg yolk with starter feed?

Does anyone know what could be the matter with this chick? I think it's an infection, because none of the nutrient deficiencies seem to fit, but I don't know how to try and treat it. If it's cocci then I can't get hold of any Corid, because I'm in the UK. Is there anything else I can give? Would Amoxycillen work?

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh no... :( what feed are you using? Percent of protein and is it medicated?

I would slurry up the pellet feed and syringe it to keep it nourished and hydrated until it gets over whatever is happening... Sorry I don't have experience with illness :/ They have a hot spot and a cool spot to go to right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by