Sick quail doesn't want to eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iAye, Oct 19, 2011.

1. iAye

iAye New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Hot Dog, one of my coturnix hens has lost some weight and isn't interested in food at all. She was drinking last night and this morning and has had some watery poops, some being completely clear and colourless and some more greenish. I keep making sure she has a good supply of her usual feed but it isn't getting touched. I just made some scrambled eggs that I'm letting cool, and some garlic/sugar water and I'll grab some plain yogurt maybe apple cider vinegar ASAP. I don't know if she'll eat any of it but it's worth a try. I don't know what else to give her at this point. I have some budgie seeds and I was wondering if those would be okay for her if she'll eat them.

Other than the watery poop and not eating she's sleeping a lot in one corner and she doesn't seem to lie down at all. I checked her feet and legs for injuries and her belly looks okay too. She was laying eggs fine up until the last day or two but sometimes they do skip a day here and there. She has been losing a few more feathers than normal and she puffs her feathers up sometimes. She still chatters away to her little friend and walks around a fair bit so I have some hope... It couldn't be lonliness, could it? I have 3 hens but they all stay separate MOST of the time because they can't seem to get along. They peck each others heads when they're together for too long so they only see each other at play time.

I'm going to take her out into a closed off hallway and sit with her to watch her and try to feed her. Is there anything else I can do? I want my little Hot Dog to be okay. [​IMG]

I could take some pictures of her (and even her poop...) if it helps at all.

2. iAye

iAye New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Update: Hot Dog ate a little last night but I don't think it's enough. I mixed some of her food in water (and a tiny bit of sugar) and waited a few minutes until it got cloudy and broken up hoping some of the sodium, potassium, nutrients etc from the feed would get in there and she did drink a bit of that. She also had some of the garlic and sugar water. She didn't want the scrambled eggs though or much of her pellets. I tried getting her to eat some plain yogurt but she didn't want it either. I gently touched her beak to the yogurt and eggs and left them in front of her for a long time too but it didn't help. Her poop seemed to have more actual solids in it now so I'm hoping that's a good sign even though she's not eating much. /: It's still watery though (sorry TMI?) She's still alert and explores everything like her usual self when she's awake but she's sleeping more than usual. Is there anything else I can do? Are gatorade or pedialyte safe for her to at least get some electrolytes and calories in? Or are there special solutions for game birds?

There's nothing else like wheezing or distress or straining and she's still very strong. It's just the watery poop, not much appetite at all (but drinking fine) with a fair bit of weight loss and sleeping more than usual. I looked under her wings, by her vent, on her stomach and legs, in the feathers on her back and neck and didn't find any bugs and the other 2 quail seem perfectly fine all around...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by