Sick quail.. Help please!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lovequail, Dec 19, 2016.

1. lovequail

lovequail New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm searching a lot couldn't find anything, then saw this forum!!! hope you can help me

I have one quail ( male - unknown age )
    now he is just laying down!! closed his eyes!!! like he's sleep all day!!!! does not walk a lot, and even if he walking he will stop anytime to close his eyes!!!
    he does not open his wing, even when he on high place and wants to go down.
    eating and drinking fine.
    on the first day i thought maybe they are like this in winter?!!!! but no there's definitely something wrong.

I check on his body, eyes, wings, there is nothing wrong i can see.
    the veterinary doctor give me antibiotic.
    keeping the room warm as much as possible.
    i really don't know what to do. :(

2. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

what breed is he? Was the pen dirty? Are you keeping them inside?Is he with females? If he is old(as you don't know the age) this could be heart failiure. If he has lost his mate or friend he may act like this. Button quail are less hardy then coturnix, bobwhites etc.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    It started happening when it got cold?

How does his poop look? :eek:

4. lovequail

lovequail New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    white Japanese
    he lost them but it was about 6 months ago!! he was so fine with me until this,
    i keep it temporarily for my friend so i keep him inside. clean the cage every 4 days, clean water every day.

Yes, about 5 days now.. poop still looks normal

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  5. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Is he beggining to look better? If he lives inside it probably isn't the cold getting to him. Quail require a very high protein diet. It could be what you are feeding him. can you post a picture of the cage/room. A pic of the quail may also help.
    ~Feather Hearts

6. lovequail

lovequail New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Thank you thank you for your reply.
    i'm really new at this, ask them to give me best food for quails.. how i know it's good? is there anything i can do myself so i'll be sure it's good? sorry i'm a bothersome:(

I feel like he is better, he trying to walk more now but still close his eyes most of the time!! laying down!
    lose feathers fast, specially on the head.
    can't see sometimes!!! this really bother me!
    why he can't see????? he was fine last week???

I tried to take photo before but can't, i'll try later again.
    This from yesterday for his eyes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    What is the name/brand of the feed? Does it say what percent protein it is? Is it like bird seed or food pellets?

8. lovequail

lovequail New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Thank you..
    i don't know it's from out of my town!
    what i can see in it is yallow corn, barley, wheat and millet.
    I don't know the other things, i will go buy anything if it's need!!

Did his eat made him blind???? PLEASE HELP!! Any thoughts? veterinary didn't give any help
    His sight worst now, the poop so small sometimes i can see him want to do it but when i look nothing come out

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. lovequail

lovequail New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Is this can help?
    [​IMG]

10. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    His beak is awfully long. It might make it hard for him to feed and it could be necessary to shorten it.
    In general, quail are best of with a pellet feed - if you can see the different kinds of seeds in it, it most likely lacks both vitamins (which could cause an overgrown beak) and protein. Feed for chicken chicks can be used in a pinch, but it is a little low in protein. Game bird or turkey starters are better - look for something with at least 24% protein. Until you get that, try to feed him hard boiled eggs - directly in the beak if you have to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by