sick quail help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sky68ou1, Jan 27, 2010.

1. sky68ou1

sky68ou1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    i posted this origionally in the quail section. got few responses, nothing figured out. was told to post it here in hopes of finding the issue. first off the quail has passed on. but i would like to see if anyone has a answer to this mysterious death. this quail was fine just a few hours prior. then suddenly i noticed it was acting sickly just sitting and breathing a bit odd like it was really tired. it had been laying there for about 2 hours by this time doing what i thought was resting. then i picked it up and looked very quickly at it and it was just like "whatever i dont care". so i took it out of its holder pen and placed it where there was extra heat and on a paper towel. this was young quail by the way. about 2 to 3 weeks old or so. well within just a few minutes it had a brown liquid sorda running slowly out of its beak. no other symptoms except looking very tired some very mild trouble breathing and the stuff running out. not 30 minutes or so after i moved it so i could watch it closer it passed peacefully. no thrashing that we saw or anything. just died. if anyone has any ideas please either email me or pm me after posting here so everyone can see the info. i dont always see that someone has posted. i would really like to know what this is and how i can prevent it if possible. please i know their are some very knowledgable people here.

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    If you find another one like this, take it to your nearest state poultry lab for a necropsy. I think you're closest to Raleigh. The phone there is 919-733-3986. It's best to take them one that is still alive. They'll euthanize it and do exams and tissue cultures to find out what's going on.

You could give them a call and ask about the one that just died. They might ask you to bring a few flock mates for them to look at. It's well worth the extra trouble!

3. sky68ou1

sky68ou1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    thomasville nc
    Quote:id love to do that but we are down to one vehicle between 5 people and it needs work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by