Sick quail male, lethargic and makes milk like poop! Help!

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Hello today my quail rooster started acting lethargic. Yesterday he was fine but today's morning he was a little "slower". Now, in the evening he is lethargic, closes his eyes, i think his crop is empty. One female was running from one wall to another and kept bumping into him with her wing and he stood there ignoring her despite the fact that she was making him turn like 90 degrees every 5 seconds.
I took him inside with quail feed and water, and straw bedding. Normally he is the most escaping quail of mine and doesn't let me touch him but this evening i grabbed him 3 times to examine him and he didn't seem bothered. In the hospital cage he moved a few times but didn't escape from my hand and made veery weird poop. Like a milk. And i mean that if you'd spill a few drops of milk and his poop next to each other, you could not tell the difference. All solid white and like a water. I didn't make the photo because almost immediatelly it got soaked up by straw.
He is about 3-5 months old. Please help :(

I checked his legs, footpads, wings and vent and all seem okay. He doesn't seem to have any pecking wounds.

It sounds like disease to me, but I'm not a vet. Is a vet an option? In the meantime, if you can't get him to eat, can you at least get something like Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick into him with a dropper?

@007Sean is familiar with a lot of things that can go wrong with quail and other game birds.

It sounds like disease to me, but I'm not a vet. Is a vet an option? In the meantime, if you can't get him to eat, can you at least get something like Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick into him with a dropper?

@007Sean is familiar with a lot of things that can go wrong with quail and other game birds.
I don't have any of these feeds. Just normal quail feed. Maybe i could make something to feed him like save a chick? I am not the one in the family deciding about the vet and it could be more expensive than a quail tbh :( For now i am going to sleep and wait for someone else to speak his mind on this. I will try to get some parrot vitamins to mix with his feed tomorrow.

In the morning i took his cage outside because it's warm but provided him with shade. He ate some feed and probably drank some water. He is a bit more active and runs away when i touch him. I'll try to buy some vitamins for him.

Hello today my quail rooster started acting lethargic. Yesterday he was fine but today's morning he was a little "slower". Now, in the evening he is lethargic, closes his eyes, i think his crop is empty. One female was running from one wall to another and kept bumping into him with her wing and he stood there ignoring her despite the fact that she was making him turn like 90 degrees every 5 seconds.
I took him inside with quail feed and water, and straw bedding. Normally he is the most escaping quail of mine and doesn't let me touch him but this evening i grabbed him 3 times to examine him and he didn't seem bothered. In the hospital cage he moved a few times but didn't escape from my hand and made veery weird poop. Like a milk. And i mean that if you'd spill a few drops of milk and his poop next to each other, you could not tell the difference. All solid white and like a water. I didn't make the photo because almost immediatelly it got soaked up by straw.
He is about 3-5 months old. Please help :(
A sign of infection in a bird is lethargic, ruffled feathers, closed eyes, huddling in the corner of a brooder under the heat source, and rales, swollen facial features, gasping for air if it's an respiratory infection.

Urine in birds is clear, urates are white.
An all white excudate could be a sign of bacillary white diarrhea, or Pullorium.
There is no treatment for Salmonella pullorium.

The only control is strict biosecurity program and irradication of the source.ie; culling the entire flock. Also periodically testing (serology) to determine the Salmonella status (NPIP).
Salmonella pullorium is transmitted mainly via the egg but can occur by direct or indirect contact. Hatchery chicks and eggs are the greatest source of this infection. Usually the chicks don't survive past 2 to 3 weeks. Survivors will be asymptomatic carriers. Some eggs that are layed by the carrier hens will produce infected progeny.

Antibacterial agents can help to pervent mortality but can not eliminate infection.
Try to get liquids into the bird, as Salmonella p. causes dehydration.
The only 'for sure' way to know what disease is causing the symptoms your bird is showing is to have a vet do some tests.

@007Sean @Nabiki he is more active but still sleepy, i saw him pecking some food and drinking (wet beak and feathers under it and less water in his drinking jar). He made a poop with some brown solid "piece" and some white liquid .

@007Sean @Nabiki he is more active but still sleepy, i saw him pecking some food and drinking (wet beak and feathers under it and less water in his drinking jar). He made a poop with some brown solid "piece" and some white liquid .
That sounds promising. If you can, I would see if you can get a vet to do some tests, though. If your covey has a serious disease, you really want to eradicate it.

That sounds promising. If you can, I would see if you can get a vet to do some tests, though. If your covey has a serious disease, you really want to eradicate it.
By promising you mean good? I'd like him to get back to health. I can't go to vet sadly. I gave him a tiny bit of aspirin in some white cheese in case. Aspirin piece was about 1 by 2 mm so very small. Idk, maybe 1/50 of what i give to sick chickens.

By promising you mean good? I'd like him to get back to health. I can't go to vet sadly. I gave him a tiny bit of aspirin in some white cheese in case. Aspirin piece was about 1 by 2 mm so very small. Idk, maybe 1/50 of what i give to sick chickens.
Eating is good. Potentially having a disease in your covey that has no cure is not good. If he doesn't make it, I strongly suggest sending him to a local lab for a necropsy. It's not too expensive, and worth it to know what you're dealing with.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Back
Top Bottom