Sick quail? Or maybe starved šŸ˜­

SassShenn

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I found one of my 5.5 week old Coturnix laying on its side in their cage and it looked dead. When I picked it up, it was alive but barely. I tried electrolytes and gentle warming, but it ended up dying last night.

In observing them more closely, I noticed 3 other birds who just looked off - fluffed up, standing with eyes closed, seeming somewhat listless. One of them was struggling to remain upright and falling over a bit. I separated all and brought the weird ones inside - gave electrolytes and food, and gently warming. All 3 are good and water interested, and made it through the night.

However, theyā€™re still having bouts of falling over, standing on one leg, tucking heads under wings, and fluffing up. In handling them, theyā€™re shockingly thin compared to my other birds from the same hatch and have some loose stools.

My suspicion in observing them is that these few have either been unable to reach into their feeder (I observed some having to really reach on their toes šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø) or maybe were bullied away by one of the Roos as a few have started crowing and getting a little rowdy already (my money is on not able to reach their food adequately though). Weā€™ve since rectified this and added additional feeders to this specific pen to ensure this isnā€™t an issue going forward.

All that being said. Iā€™m hoping this would explain their behavior and body condition versus something more serious like UE. Thoughts? Anything else I should do for the ill birds?

Details:
-They were recently moved into a main pen indoors from the brooder (approx 1 week ago). -Theyā€™ve been off heat for almost 2 weeks prior to pen move
-Fed game bird starter crumble from H&H since hatch (no change to food other than different style feeder in new pen)
-Literally ZERO contact with any other birds or people aside from me. These birds have never even been outdoors.
-They are in a pen adjacent to our mature hens who were recently moved indoors for winter, but donā€™t have access to them.
-All birds from this same hatch were thriving in their brooder prior to being moved (only moved pens to a new (never used before).
-Gave them a sandbox with fresh (bagged) sand 1 week ago - they seem to love it and since the ill birds are still eating/drinking well, I donā€™t think itā€™s likely a crop issue

Can you post pictures of your set up?
Are you willing to open one of the dead ones up?

Can you post pictures of your set up?
Are you willing to open one of the dead ones up?
I considered a necropsy but canā€™t do it myself - husband may be willing to do so - maybe looking at intestines/digestive tract to rule out UE?

Pen set photo is the best pic I had. Waterers/feeders are on back wall, each pen has a supplemental calcium dish on the side (except the birds in question as they havenā€™t started laying yet). Each pen is approx 8 sq ft, indoors, and all 1/2ā€ pvc coated welded wire (exact same wire, feeder ports & waterers we use in our outdoor pens without issue). Iā€™m kicking myself as I can now see the bird in the photo really stretching to get into the feeder and wonder if these 4 were just too small to reach their food. Ugh this sucks for these poor birds.

Attachments

• 0CEB09F8-EA33-4997-944D-62EC1F733F43.jpeg
    0CEB09F8-EA33-4997-944D-62EC1F733F43.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 10
I considered a necropsy but canā€™t do it myself - husband may be willing to do so - maybe looking at intestines/digestive tract to rule out UE?

Pen set photo is the best pic I had. Waterers/feeders are on back wall, each pen has a supplemental calcium dish on the side (except the birds in question as they havenā€™t started laying yet). Each pen is approx 8 sq ft, indoors, and all 1/2ā€ pvc coated welded wire (exact same wire, feeder ports & waterers we use in our outdoor pens without issue). Iā€™m kicking myself as I can now see the bird in the photo really stretching to get into the feeder and wonder if these 4 were just too small to reach their food. Ugh this sucks for these poor birds.
I'd be careful with the fake tree thing...the dummies might be eating those fake needles.
I'd make sure the feed is fresh and small enough (put some in a zip lock bag and take a hammer to it) for the young ones too.
Lower the dish...for sure.

I'd remove the sand too. They are dumb and may be eating it which can cause a problem too.

Sounds like it is UE to me!!! I'd start them on Tetracycline or Oxytetracycline immediately.
You say they have watery stools, what color is the stool?

Sounds like it is UE to me!!! I'd start them on Tetracycline or Oxytetracycline immediately.
You say they have watery stools, what color is the stool?
The one that died was dark brown diarrhea. The remaining 3 today are alternating between normal greenish with a little white poops and some slightly looser brownish poops. Thankfully these 3 donā€™t seem to have full blown diarrhea.

Those antibiotics are vet prescribed, correct? There arenā€™t any vets near me that deal with quail, unfortunately. I have injectable penicillin on hard, but itā€™s for livestock so would probably be overkill šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

With UE, I just wonder how on earth they could have contracted it as their feeders are constantly cleaned and theyā€™re not in direct contact with any other birds (only other birds we have are healthy).

Last edited:
I'd be careful with the fake tree thing...the dummies might be eating those fake needles.
I'd make sure the feed is fresh and small enough (put some in a zip lock bag and take a hammer to it) for the young ones too.
Lower the dish...for sure.

I'd remove the sand too. They are dumb and may be eating it which can cause a problem too.
Thank you. I did pull all the trees out (As much as my kids think the quail need to celebrate Christmas šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø). Sandbox is out of the birds pen in question. All other birds from the same hatch have beautiful, age-appropriate body condition and are eating/drinking well today. Even the 3 remaining sick (?) birds are eating drinking normally, just seem a little less energetic than would be normal.

Thank you. I did pull all the trees out (As much as my kids think the quail need to celebrate Christmas šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø). Sandbox is out of the birds pen in question. All other birds from the same hatch have beautiful, age-appropriate body condition and are eating/drinking well today. Even the 3 remaining sick (?) birds are eating drinking normally, just seem a little less energetic than would be normal.
Can you tell if their poop looks good?

Back
Top Bottom