Sick Quail PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cinnamonlols, Apr 21, 2017.

1. cinnamonlols

cinnamonlols New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Today my only pet, a Courtnix Quail, has been acting very strange. She has spent all afternoon, with her feathers, all puffed up, in the corner of her cage with her eyes half-closed and seemingly gasping for air (as shown in the video below). She has not touched her feed bowl, nor has she drank from her bowl at all today. Also, she has lost her sense of balance and will slip and fall as she tries to walk away from me whenever I approach her. Occasionally, she will experience sudden tremors. Every 20 minutes or so, it looks like she attempts to push something out of her rear, but only resulting in green or white poop of a paste consistency.

Her diet everyday consists of laymash and dried mealworms. She is my only quail and is kept in a cage, bedded with grass, outside. It may be worth mentioning that I did feed her a bit of cottage cheese in the morning (before all her symptoms started happening), and I fed her a mushroom from a slice of pizza the night before as well.

Symptoms:
    -heavy breathing
    -loss of balance
    -lethargy
    -no appetite or thirst
    -droopy eyes
    -tremors
    -mucus poop
    -looks constipated(?)

Please help me. I've been searching the internet endlessly, trying to figure out what's wrong with my quail. I love her very much and I don't want her to die! How do I treat her?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. zezima

zezima New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    My best guess would probably be that she might be egg-bound, but I've never seen any of my quails behave this way. [​IMG]

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Super sorry to hear about her... Let's hope it's either the mushroom or the cottage cheese that didn't agree with her :/

The other alternative would be sickness which I don't have experience in.. But I do know keeping the quail warm will help it to heal :/ I hope she improves soon....

4. cinnamonlols

cinnamonlols New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Thank you for your response, Binki. I will definitely be keeping her warm inside today. I don't have any access to medicine right now since I live in the city, so I hope it's not an illness; I'm not even sure how to treat her. Hopefully her condition improves in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by