Sick quail please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweet jumping jellybean, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Our pet quail isn't well. His eyes are shut all the time and he isn't eating but he is drinking water. His poo is smelly and runny. Does anyone know what medication he would need?

Thank you.
    Pic attached.

Attached Files:

2. CJLR

CJLR Songster

Jun 9, 2019
    He may have coccidiosis if he does he will need corid this medication is put in the water for 5 to 7 days with nothing else in the water but the medicine you can dose the entire flock with this even if only one is sick

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  3. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Yeah, I thought that to. Can you post a picture of the poop, please? IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    By the way, welcome to the forum! :welcome

5. Thank you everyone and thanks for the welcome. :)
    Do I just get that medication from a feed barn?

I just cleaned out his box. He is separated from the other birds and inside the house.
    I hope he pulls through.

First picture is the best I could get of his poo for now. Second picture is of his bum.

Thank you for helping. :)

Attached Files:

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Yes, you can check your local feed store, Tractor Supply or order from Amazon. Corid comes in a bottle of liquid like I showed, or in packets of powder. @Wyorp Rock or @casportpony can help you with a correct dosage amount. The Corid needs to be administered ASAP to your sweet quail, and your others. Coccidiosis is contagious. You may want to clean out your quails coop, water and feeder to be on the safe side.

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Quail are not as susceptible to coccidiosis as chickens, judging by the birds appearance and pic of the feces, watery white urates, I would say it has ulcerative enteritis.
    Treatment should be administered immediately as UE can kill within hours to 1 or two days.
    Tetracycline, Bacitracin and Streptomycin are the 3 main most effective drugs used to treat UE. Usually, they are by 'script' from a vet. If you can find Duramycin at a feed store or a TSC, it doesn't require a script. Although not as effective as the others, it will work. It is mixed in their drinking water.
    UE is extremely contagious and is spread though ingestion of feces of an infected bird via the water or feed. Mortality rate is near 100% for an infected bird, this is why it is important to start treatment ASAP. Treat the whole flock.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would go with what @007Sean has recommended.

I do have a question - you mention in that the second photo is of his bum - hard to tell what's going on there, is it swollen or caked/blocked with poop? If it's caked with poop, then I would gently clean him off, being careful not to wet him too much or chill him. Dry him with a hair dryer if you need to.

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: