Sick Quail please help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ftlmom, Apr 19, 2012.

1. ftlmom

ftlmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    One of my new quail babies is not doing very well. Last saturday we went back to the farm to trade over some of our male quails for more girls. We now have 6 girls and 1 boy. One of the new girls, ( our only white quail) is sick. She is not as active as the others. She has droopy wings and lays down a lot. We have taken her inside and put her in a cage all by herself. She has food and water with applecider mixed in. she does move around but she does not spend much time on her feet. We have been praying but short of that we do not know what else to do for her.

2. fluffy104

fluffy104 New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    ohhh... one of my chicks that i hatched myself did the same thing... How old is it and did you hatch it yourself? My chick died at 3 months because it had birth defects. Splayed legs, broken hip, broken toe, broken leg, seizer, heart attack ( we think). It suffered and it was really sad. I thought it would have a chance to live and i tryed a splint, vitamens, aand a lot more but it died.. I would contact a chicken doctor or whatever. Make sure to help it eat and drink. Again how old is it and did you hatch it yourself?

3. ftlmom

Jul 14, 2011
    I did not hatch her myself. She is about 3 weeks old I think. I got her last saturday and notice her lack of activity almost immediately that night. She is such a sweet girl and we just want her to get better. She is eating a little but sleeping a lot.

4. fluffy104

fluffy104 New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    Mine was just like that.. You're sure that's it's getting lots of water?? Does it look like it has something wrong with it's legs?? We put a small rub wrist thing that you put under something to prevent slipping. try putting that in so it can get a grip to walk. Do the others trample it?? Maybe it could have a nice quail put in wipth it? Does it get vitamins? How long has she been like this?

5. ftlmom

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm still not sure what the problem is. She was a little more alert today. I saw her eating and she is pooping. I went and got some "save a chick today and I've been trying to get her to drink some. It's hit or miss with her. I can't get her to open her beak wide enough to stick the dropper in to give her the stuff. But she does get a little in. She is not getting any worst.

6. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    I have an adult quail who does something similar. she doesn't like walking. She can sit in one spot for HOURS if not disturbed. But when she does move, she SPRINTS! Her name is Angela, and she she seems perfectly healthy.Keep doing what you're doing, and with God's will, she'll get better.

7. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally if it were me I would discontinue with the cider in the water. Birds can be very finicky about their water and if there is anythign weired about it, they may not drink it. If anything I would replace the water with plain/flavourless infant electrolyte or get some powdered poultry electrolyte for the water.

I have found that birds I hatched which were pure white, ie no pigment at all anywhere, were very sickly and often went blind or got sick at about 2-3 weeks of age and just died. Try to keep her warm and encourage her to drink and eat. Other than that not much you can really do. keep an eyes on the rest of your birds too.

8. ftlmom

Jul 14, 2011
    She is not with the other birds she is in the house. I got her so "save a chick" and I am givving her that. She does not seem to be getting any better with the legs. She is fighting me a little when I try to make her drink but other than that no change.

9. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Three weeks is still pretty young...what are your temperatures like there? At 3 weeks, they should still have a brooder temp of 85*F....Clean fresh water like jbobs said is best as well as good game bird starter...

Quiet would be good too...quail will stress, you've just moved her from all she knows and now that she's ill you're giving her more attention than she ever wanted, it is possible to "love a quail to death"....

Good luck.

10. ftlmom

Jul 14, 2011
    Our weather has been pretty warm, highs in the middle 80's and lows in the upper 70's. She has been inside all warm and snug. She has gotten a lot worst and has refused to eat. I try to force her to drink but she is pretty weak. We do not expect her to make threw the night. We are just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. We just don't have the heart to put her down, but we also don't like watching her get so weak. The kids are very young (ages 10-2) and they have never been through thing like this. This is their first experience with death. We are learning so much. We have only had her for a week and we really are not sure of her age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by