Sick Quail!

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi,
Today I noticed that one of my quail was standing around, acting lethargic, feathers fluffed up, and drooping his wings. I picked him up and right away I could tell that compared to the other birds he was very light and skinny. I looked him over and found that he is missing multiple feathers on his wings and the area looks dry, raw, and damaged. From the way, he holds his wings I can tell this hurts him. It also looks like he has pasty butt?! (I thought that was something only young chicks can get?) If that's what is going on that would explain the lack of weight. I did see him eat so I don't think he has cocci. He is about 5 weeks old, I keep him in an aviary with others of the same age. What should I do? The flock is not too far from the age when they can be bullies, should I separate him? Do you think he may have a communicable disease? Can I put him in a little animal carrier and keep him in the aviary or should I separate further to keep potential disease from spreading? Pictures of him below:

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 17
How often do you bring new to you birds home?
When was the last time you brought one home?
Did you hatch these quail?
Do you have other birds besides these quail?

The answers to these questions will help me guess if you are dealing with a disease or not

I've cleaned up his pasty butt and separated him from the rest of the flock. He is staying in a 10 gallon aquarium with a heat lamp on him in my home. I am giving him miracle water (garlic, apple cider vinegar, and honey). He has access to food and has already pooped twice since being cleaned. He is part of my first flock of birds ever, I have not added new birds (yet). I did not hatch him or his brothers and sisters, I got them from a breeder at two weeks old. I do not own any other birds, however, my neighbor has chickens. Why do you think his wings look so bad? Oh, I also sprayed his wings and the irritated skin on his bottom with Banixx for Chixx wound spray.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Is pasty butt caused in part by his food? I can try giving him some other type of food for a bit. I can give him some mealworms, dubia, and quail egg (do I have to cook it?) if that will help him.

First, cut out the "miracle water". Garlic harms some animals, so it's not a good idea, and the others might not do harm in small quantities, but aren't good in large quantities. Something like Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick would be better diluted in his water.

What are you feeding him? Don't change his diet suddenly since that can cause digestive issues. If you do feed him some egg, boil and mash it first. A bit of mealworm or dubia won't hurt him and may encourage him to eat, but those are treats and shouldn't make up more than 10% of his diet.

First, cut out the "miracle water". Garlic harms some animals, so it's not a good idea, and the others might not do harm in small quantities, but aren't good in large quantities. Something like Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick would be better diluted in his water.

What are you feeding him? Don't change his diet suddenly since that can cause digestive issues. If you do feed him some egg, boil and mash it first. A bit of mealworm or dubia won't hurt him and may encourage him to eat, but those are treats and shouldn't make up more than 10% of his diet.
I'm feeding him and my whole flock Purina startena (it's the only feed in my area that's got a good amount of protein). They have access to a sand bath that also serves as grit.

I'm feeding him and my whole flock Purina startena (it's the only feed in my area that's got a good amount of protein). They have access to a sand bath that also serves as grit.
The feed is probably not the issue.

Do you have pictures of your setup and the other birds?

I did do a bit of research, and yes, garlic is bad (possibly toxic) for birds. This was from chewy, avianmd and a few other sources.

Back
Top Bottom