Sick Rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herfrds, Nov 17, 2010.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    DS has a Neatherland dwarf doe that is sick.

She is not eating.
    Is drinking.

Had poo stuck to her rear. We cleaned it off.
    Her ears are cool.

Has lost weight.

Always had water. Given alalfa pellets. Grass hay.

Not interested in her carrots, nor banana treat.
    Did eat a little oatmeal this evening.

2. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Flip her over and dribble a bit of Maple Syrup (the real stuff) into her mouth. The high-sugar and sweetness should trigger a hunger response.
    If she takes it, offer some apple/banana/soft food, water (via syringe), and more syrup if necessary. Don't drown her in it, just a tiny amount. Make sure she's kept warm (but NOT HOT), and feels safe and secure.

I had a four month old doe completely COLLAPSE on me. She dropped weight, she barely ate, she just didn't look so great. One day she just went down, when I pulled her out I thought she was dead at first. When I brought her in, she couldn't even lift her head. After ten minuets she could raise her head. After twenty minuets she was sitting up on her own. After half an hour I had to move her because she kept trying to climb out of the box I had her in.
    She's now bouncing all over the place and relaxing with her brother using the method above [​IMG] Gaining weight impeccably again, has her appetite back like she should. She's always been happy and healthy, don't know what caused her to drop so drastically [​IMG]

What kind of hay and pellets are you feeding? Is there any corn in the pellets? To much corn in a rabbits diet can cause health issues.

3. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    No corn in this feed. It is straight alfafa. This feed is used by every rabbit breeder I have ever talked to around here.

gave her some pineapple juice last night. She is eating the oatmeal.
    She is peeing and has poo'd a couple of times. It is short of football shaped and not round.

She is right now on top of our house cats 3 level scratching condo living the good life.

thank you for the maple syrup suggestion. She went crazy for the juice.

4. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Put her on some Probios and she finally had a movement.
    Unfortunately she might have a urinary tract infection. Called the vet and got her on some antibiotics and she has some Probios in her water to keep her guts going.

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i have one sick also what antibiotic did the vet put her on and what Probios do u use?

6. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    She is on Baytril.
    the Probios is the powder kind. We mix it in her water. I got it at a feed store for a calf we had to treat with antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by