sick Red Star-Gladys is gone:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bwebb7, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    When I came home this evening I refilled the empty feeder. Everyone else went crazy like it had been days since they had eaten! Gladys stayed in the yard laying in the leaves. I went over and looked at her and noticed she just kept closing her eyes. When I would step closer and rustle the leaves she would open them but then blink really long. I picked her up and she doesn't seem to weigh as much as she should.
    I mixed a little mollasses in some water and she will drink it when I pick her up and hold it in front of her.
    I have offered her boiled egg yolk and she aint interested!
    She just closes her eyes!
    Help! Please!

* edited to say she is gonna be 1 year old on May 16th
    I just am so crazy about her-she's the one that always follows me and eats out of my hand every day!

RIP Gladys~ we loved you every day and we will miss you every day too.
    We wish you safe passage across that rainbow bridge.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    she is just in the dog crate looking into the cardboard corner:(

3. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    She is gone.

4. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm sorry you lost your favorite bird. I have several favorites in different stages of growth. Of course, I love all of my Barred Rock Pullets and 2 Roos just about equally and have a very soft spot for my 3 Dominique pullets that I thought were BR's when I got them at the hatchery from the overstock box.

I have 8 Light Brahmas and love them all but there is one that is uber special and comes to me right away every time I go near the cage.

I have 26 chicks that just hatched a week ago and there is one Buckeye and one Jersey Giant that are very friendly.

I hope you find a new favorite soon. It's hard to lose a special pet.

5. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Thank you.
    She laid the biggest egg that looked like it had cinnamon sprinkled on it and we thanked her all the time.
    She was just fearless.

6. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Godspeed, Gladys! That was my mother's name and I ALWAYS thought it was an especially great name for a chicken!! I'm so sorry you lost her!!! My mom loved animals and I'll pray that the two Gladyses meet up with one another because my mother couldn't resist feeding every animal (and person) she met!!!

Big hugs,
    Nancy

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm very sorry you lost your beloved Gladys. [​IMG] Those special girls will always be with you in memory. I had the same thing happen here about a year ago, with two of my hens. I never did find out what had happened.
    some more [​IMG] to you.

8. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Every single time I get my eggs, I tell all my hens thank you for laying me an egg. I know that sounds corny but I love my birds. I sit and hold them and the roos too. I tell them that they are beautiful and I love them!

[​IMG]

9. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Thanks Y'all for your kind words. We really did care allot for her. I'll try to hatch her last couple of eggs.
    Maybe we'll get lucky?

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry about Gladys. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by