Sick Rescue Scovies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awarmrainyday, Apr 29, 2016.

1. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Just when I thought I had everything under control...the chicks and chickens were old enough and healthy enough to go outside to their temporary coop and all of the muscovies were looking really good and healthy. We are literally picking up all the supplies this weekend to start building a big coop with a huge run and I thought I have my house back and I'm getting everything under control. I was wrong.

About a week ago five really rough looking muscovies showed up in my yard. They wouldn't let me near them but they hung out nearby and waited for a chance to get food. They had crusted faces and beaks, very underweight and ragged looking and the one is dragging it's wing. I didn't think much of it, many of the others showed up in similar condition and with good food and plenty of fresh water they've done quite well. Around the same time we started getting a lot of rain and the temperatures have dropped lower than they've been in a few weeks. Now I've noticed that many of my ducks sound congested (rattley breathing) and have dirt caked in their noses. They are still eating, drinking and playing in their pools though. They drive me nuts because they have several places to get in out of the rain and they choose to just get soaked and stand in the rain all day and night.

This morning I noticed one of the girls was sitting up against the house and when I approached her instead of moving like they usually do she just sat there. She refused to stand and seemed to be shivering, but she didn't have any nasal discharge, her breath sounds were normal, her stomach was soft, no sign of being egg bound. She was holding her head up like normal and looking around though so I put her in the small coop to stay warm and dry and left for work. When I got home she had died :(

I have no idea what happened to her. And I have no idea if the new stray's have made nearly my whole flock of ducks sick or if it's this super wet and cold weather suddenly. It hasn't affected the chickens at all. I've been putting ACV with mother in their waterers and I have Oxine ah on order but it is not scheduled to arrive until mid next week. Is there anything else I can do at the moment? I have approximately 35 ducks and about half are displaying signs of illness so it's not like I can bring them all into my house.

I mostly just needed to get that all out, I'm a little frustrated at the moment, if it isn't one thing it's another. Sicks ducks, weather not cooperating for construction to start on the new coop (we should have had the foundation done a week ago but mother nature won't stop dumping water on us). But if anybody has an thoughts or suggestions I'm open to try anything I can.

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get one or two in to a vet for diagnosis, that would be best, I think.

At least get a fecal sample in to a vet to see if there are parasites or anything easily recognizable.

And I would start vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to boost everyone's immune system.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm so sorry for all the problems your having. It seems like when it rains it pours. I remember a while back when you posted about rescuing all the scovys.

The tylan powder is good for respiratory infections. 1 to 2 tsp. per gal of water for 5 days. It sounds like they have a respiratory infection. If at all possible take one to the vet i know sometimes thats not possible.

The ac in the drinking water is good plus you might try electrolites in the water .

I hope things get better for you and the weather clears up so you can get your coop built. I also hope your ducks get better real soon. Let us know how things are going.

((((((((((hugs))))))))) God bless you.

1 person likes this.
  4. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Thanks for the replies! Sorry I didn't respond yesterday, the shed that I ordered to modify into a coop came in yesterday...in one enormous 700 pound package [​IMG] and it is still raining.

I don't think any vets around me see ducks and chickens. My vet visits farms and treats livestock but he wouldn't see my rooster Chester back when he was really sick. And I think my husband would kill me for spending the money on a vet visit, he isn't exactly a fan of my birds... or all the money I've spent on them.

The ducks seem to be a little bit better today. Although the two sickest newbies (the one who dragged his wing and his girlfriend) disappeared overnight and I haven't seen them since [​IMG].

I can't seem to find water soluble Tylan. Tractor Supply only carries the injectable form which I have, but I can't very well catch each one to medicate, many of the ducks are still very skittish. I did catch the one girl who had a swollen eye this morning, probably from an overzealous suitor, and treated her. I just love how all the ducks I have to catch tuck their heads in my neck to hide their eyes. But once I catch one of the ducks they all know I'm up to something and go on high alert.

Two of the ducks managed to hide their nests from me until I found them sitting on them. A sneaky little girl had her eggs buried under the pile of sawdust in the corner of my little coop. I check the coop every single day for chicken eggs, had no idea she was hiding eggs until I opened the door and she was sitting on them. She has since made a nice pile of down around her and looks like she's going to murder me when I open the coop door. Another one tucked her eggs under a low part of my deck down in a metal well at the crawl space vent. The only reason I knew she was even there was because she made a hissing sound when I walked across the deck above her once. So if anyone is wanting or knows anyone who is wanting muscovy ducklings, I believe we will have about 20 in 3 weeks or so.

And actually while I'm thinking of it, I've read that muscovies don't form bonds or have mates, but I've noticed that a few of my males are always with the same female(s). And certain females are always hanging out together. The one drake I named Ricky always takes Lucy and Ethel into the backyard where he knows he is not supposed to be. He finds a comfy spot to rest and watches the girls forage around him. He also gets very upset if anyone gets between him and his girls, or if another drake tries to mate with one of them. Maybe this is just behavior during mating season?

Anyway, I will be so relieved when the coop is built and everyone is contained.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Something to consider is getting a fecal sample to a vet. Much less expensive and troublesome than a full visit. They should be able to send the sample to a lab to look for unfriendly bacteria, protozoans, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by