Sick Rhode Rock

Allan Aston

Hatching
Jul 16, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have registered to try and get some help for my sick little Rhode Rock, Meg.

She has been really withdrawn over the last few days. She is not coming to feed with the other hens when called. She generally looks very healthy, but I have noticed that her droppings are very mucusy with bubbles in them. I have tried to perk her up by adding some chicken spice and an additive to their water, but she still looks a bit down in the dumps. I recently built a new coop and moved them into that, not sure if this is related or not. What your thoughts?

I have started to suspect Coccidiosis, but she is about 2-2.5 years old now, so surprised that she is would be affected and yet the rest of my flock appear fine.

Thanks in Advance,
Al

Sorry about your hen. Is she getting close to time for her yearly molt, or looking a bit rough? Has she been laying eggs recently? Is her tail position up in normal position or down? I would check her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy. Look her over for lice and mites on his skin under the vent and belly. Is her lower belly normal or fuller? Have you wormed her recently? There are so many diiferent possibilities for a hen to feel off or weak. I would offer some Gatorade or electrolyte water for a day, and also some scrambled bits of egg and some wet watery chicken feed.

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I’m pleased to report that Meg has made good progress over the last few days. Have her and the other hens on a worming course and the poultry spice and water additive appears to have helped. Not exactly sure what has gone on, perhaps she ate something in the paddock she shouldn’t have, and it’s worked it way through. Who knows. Will keep a close eye on things over the next few days, but hopefully she’s through the worst.

Al

Back
Top Bottom