sick RIR, could use some advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aj1911, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    1) What type of bird , age and weight: RIR, 3 years old, un-known

2) What is the behavior, exactly: puffed up, cold, holds head close to body

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: about 2 weeks now

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. none

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: i dont know

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: wast drinking much at first and wouldnt eat anything besides bugs/grass she now eats oats/millet, bugs, grass, cooked egg and other treats

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc: was white and runny with mucus in it at first, it is now a solid green dropping with some normal white in it

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? GSE for the first 2 days before she stopped eating for me ever since acv/cayanne pepper+garlic in water with vitamins even tho she rarely drinks it and prefers water she finds out side after it rains

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? i have to treat my self no vets here will even look at chickens

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. dont have any

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: pine shavings in a pretty warm nice coop, lots of room for each bird, right now i have her in my spare breeding pen with a friend

she has red/brown toenails where all my other chickens dont which is odd i thought seems how they are clean as can be

i did dust her for mites last week and it seems to of helped a little but i doubt mites are the main cause i have never wormed my flock, kinda afraid to worm her b/c she is weak still

shes alos lost ALOT of weight she was skin and bones about 4-5 days ago but ever since then shes been eating alot more and has put some back on

today she seems to not be doing as good as yesterday for some reason, she has her tail held down and seems cold then again it is cold today

she did feel good enough to get into a fight with the other chickens before i brought her to the fenced area of the yard even tho i had to break them up.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Could she be broody? I didn't see any comment on where she does this...So that was my first guess.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Whenever I have an un-well bird, I isolate her and make sure she is in a safe and warm place. I use a dog kennel. If it is really cold out, I bring her into the house, so she is good and warm. I put electrolites and vitamins in their water. I also make sure they eat and get lots of goodies high in calories and nutrients and easy to digest.
    Sick and weak chickens are often picked on by others in the flock.

I don't know what is wrong with your chicken, but sometimes a little extra care can bring them round.

Good luck

4. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:nope not broody, i've had 3 broody hens before this is totally different its a good guess tho

5. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:been doing that and so far so good just today she seemed cold and more like she wants to hide then be out bug hunting like normal

so i thought i would post and see if i couldnt get anymore help

thank you for the reply [​IMG]

6. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Are her stools still runny? Maybe cocci? Have you treated her for this yet? Green feces is not normal for chickens.

7. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:had cocci go thru my flock once and then never again unless some how some new strain got put on my farm i would think all my birds would be resistant to any here

i havent had a case of it in 3 years.

stools are solid with a normal green color all my other chickens have and a little bit of white like normal

she still puts out a runny mucus bit with them here and there tho.

8. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    How about CRD? Have they been treated for this, it's like a severly bad human cold. Hope all goes well with her!

9. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:no lung or respiratory problems at all not even high respiration nor is it labored

all i get is a sneeze here and there

10. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I'm no expert and hope that it works out for the best for you and her both [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by