Sick RIR - How Should I Treat??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsdoms, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jsdoms

jsdoms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi- This is my first time posting. We got our chickens in September and I love our girls. Last night when I went to lock our chickens in for the evening, I noticed one of our RIR's breathing with her mouth open. I watched her for a bit and she seemed like she was wrasping. This morning when I let them out, she came out with everyone else and was still breathing funny, but eating and drinking. Her color is good and she looks very healthy. I did notice she sneezed as I was walking out of their pen. I am thinking she might have a respiratory infection. But the only other thing I did because of the really cold weather is that I added hay to there coop. Could she be allergic to the hay? Our weather has been all over the place - from the 60's to the below 0's.... So, my question is do I treat her with anitbiotics? And do I seperate her from everyone else? Or should I treat the whole flock?

Thank you for your help!! Jennifer

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Since you just added some hay, I would guess she inhaled some dust and is trying to clear it out. There is definitely no indication for antibiotics. Most respiratory infections in chickens are viral so antibiotics don't treat them, anyway. And they are highly contagious, so if she had one, they most likely all would.

Respiratory infections in chickens are a much more serious matter than the common cold. Here is a link that gives a good overview.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by