sick rir...went down overnight...help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k2smama, Dec 28, 2013.

1. k2smama

k2smama Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    We have a rir we adopted. Don't know her age. Was told she was young, but was laying big beautiful eggs when we got her. One every day. Got her in October. She stopped laying about 2 weeks ago. Was doing fine then this morning found her with an egg, but was extremely lethargic and eyes closed and went get up. Egg looked perfectly formed. I broke it for her and force feed her a little and gave her yogurt. She's cold and not moving. HELP!

2. sandovaljose214

sandovaljose214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2013
    should take to the vet

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring her inside,keep her warm,try and get her to drink. How cold has it been where you live? Decrease in egg production is normal,changes with the seasons,decreased daylight,decrease in egg production. Check her for crop issues,are you sure the egg was from her,reason i am asking is could she be egg bound?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get her warm ASAP then once she stable, check for an egg. Checking for an egg is easy enough to do, just gently stick a lubed gloved finger in her vent and check. These pictures should help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Chances are she's dehydrated, too, so you will need to get fluids into her. Never force feed a dehydrated big, hydration must be corrected first.

-Kathy

6. k2smama

k2smama Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Definitely was her egg. She's the only one I have that lays big brown eggs. Temps have been in the 30s at night and in the 60s during the day. They are in a coop with a heat lamp and they go out a few hours a day. I put her in a small coop by herself with thick shavings and all the food and water and heat. Gave her half a tums and more water. She is a little more perky. Still very weak and wobbly. I'll check for an egg in a little bit, but I know she just layed one today.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by